New Stage 60 Owner

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:26 am

jshaffer23 wrote: Your comparing apples to oranges with the Blackstar and Splawn. The Splawn cost nearly $1900 and is US made, the Blackstar is under $800. I had some MAJOR gas for a Splawn but couldnt justify spending the money. So I went with the Stage 60. First off, the 70-80 speakers SUCK bigtime and if your looking for a big tight bass sound those speakers arent gonna provide that! I put a set of Celestion K-100s in mine and it made a HUGE difference in how tight the amp is. Another thing to help the tone is to get the master volume up around 12 o clock and then back off the channel volumes until you are happy with it. That gets the power tubes cooking more and it sounds alot better. I have tried it both ways, master up channel vol down, channel vol up/ master down. It sounds best with the master up. Also, the preamp tubes in it pretty much suck. Swap those out for some JJ's or Tung-Sols and you will be happier. They had to cut cost somewhere to make the amp affordable and the speakers and tubes are what they skimped on :( I hope it works out for you!
I appreciate the comments. I'm fully aware of the disparity between the Splawn and the Blackstar. My comments were a criticism of my own expectations - that there's probably nothing wrong with the Blackstar and I should have been more realistic. Or, it's very possible that I've become an amp snob.

Anyway, I will try the Master Volume suggestion and try to dial it in a little better. I want to keep the amp in "returnable" condition (eg, no speaker or tube changes) until I'm dedicated to keeping it.

I played it a little more last night. Still not where I'd like it to be. Overall, the phrase that comes to mind is that it doesn't sound "musical" or "organic" to me (the use of the terms kind of confirms that I'm becoming an amp snob). Maybe's there a break in period or something with the amp. I'll keep working with it.

jshaffer23

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:44 am

KKND wrote:alright sir, i will take your advice about the preamp tubes, but how would i know that 70-80 sucks (with all due respect ) if the speakers are suppose to take some time to break-in/loosen up! moreover, i always sought Metallica/megadeath and Slash kinda tone, don't these artists have vintage 30s in their rigs, and the k-100 is aimed at modern dropped tunning metal rather than the 80's thrash metal.
and one gentleman suggested that i swap the v2 with a different type of tube rather than different brand, what say you?
Thanks jshaffer, btw your video on you-tube what made me go ahead and place an order on the stage 60, so thanks.
Your right about the speakers needing some playing time to break in. But, just do some searching on the net about those speakers and you will quickly find that MOST people dont like them. I think they would work for more classic rock stuff but for metal i dont think they can cut it. The K-100's are actually a pretty versatile speaker. They are very balanced in all frequencies making them pretty good for anything IMO. I tried mixing a V30 with a K100 and I didnt like it. The V30 sounded great on its own but mixing them wasnt the answer :| I'm not real sure on the V2 swap. thats the phase inverter correct? The ECC82?

KKND

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:06 am

[/quote]I'm not real sure on the V2 swap. thats the phase inverter correct? The ECC82?[/quote]

Please refer to this thread, i am not sure my self :)

http://blackstaramps.forumotion.com/ht- ... e-t319.htm

Thanks for your valuable input.

KKND

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Update....okay so the amp started to sound better to my ears,i can get some decent tones out of it.but the harshness still exists but not as before,a bit smoother.i got an ehx soul preacher, placed first in chain, it add nice effect on the od channels but not the clean, probably need more time with it.I'll place an order for a set of jj's pre amp tubes and see where that will take me, then if necessary I'll put vintage 30s. But at least I'm sure that the stage 60 is capable.the biggest disappointment so far is the clean channel, can't get that really pristine clean tone (think nothing else matters) maybe after I place an eq in the loop and change tubes.also I have to roll down the bass really low on both channels in order for the bass to be reduced other wise the channels are never usable!
Any input guys would be appreciated.....thanks

Ammar

jshaffer23

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:35 pm

KKND wrote:Update....okay so the amp started to sound better to my ears,i can get some decent tones out of it.but the harshness still exists but not as before,a bit smoother.i got an ehx soul preacher, placed first in chain, it add nice effect on the od channels but not the clean, probably need more time with it.I'll place an order for a set of jj's pre amp tubes and see where that will take me, then if necessary I'll put vintage 30s. But at least I'm sure that the stage 60 is capable.the biggest disappointment so far is the clean channel, can't get that really pristine clean tone (think nothing else matters) maybe after I place an eq in the loop and change tubes.also I have to roll down the bass really low on both channels in order for the bass to be reduced other wise the channels are never usable!
Any input guys would be appreciated.....thanks

Ammar
Sounds like you are getting there. I never run the bass on the clean channel above 9 o clock. Which voicing are you using on the clean channel? I am using the "fender" style voicing and I find the clean tones to be GREAT. Keep messing with it, you will get there!

KKND

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi there,i don't push the voice button on the clean channel so I don't which is that.....i know that cleans sounds great on your stage 60, I fel in love with your tone.But I have bad news, its not at all feasible to replace speakers, its gonna cost me 50% of what I paid for the amp, so I'm gonna order pre amp tubes and see, what say you,jj's our tung sol?

I heard couple of guys saying the 70-80 aren't that bad after they break up (Finger crossed)....

Thanks

Ammar

jshaffer23

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:28 am

KKND wrote:Hi there,i don't push the voice button on the clean channel so I don't which is that.....i know that cleans sounds great on your stage 60, I fel in love with your tone.But I have bad news, its not at all feasible to replace speakers, its gonna cost me 50% of what I paid for the amp, so I'm gonna order pre amp tubes and see, what say you,jj's our tung sol?

I heard couple of guys saying the 70-80 aren't that bad after they break up (Finger crossed)....

Thanks

Ammar
The voicing switch out is the fender style I think, not completely sure though. As for tubes , I would go for the JJ's. I have been using them in all of my amps and I always like them. I was using a NOS Tung-Sol in my 60 but I think I swapped it for a JJ. I do agree about the speaker swap. It is rather expensive to upgrade them. I wouldnt have done it but I already ahd them laying around from my last rig so I didnt have to buy them. You could always to to find some used ones on ebay or a forum somewhere. I have bought speakers that way with no problems 8)

KKND

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:25 am

Well, This is my first tube amp..so i am gonna learn to live with it the way it is, i will give the 70-80 more time, i will probably grow into them, i am getting an eq pedal soon, i am sure that will help along with replacing the tubes.

I will play around more and more, discover more possibilities, i will try and post some clips, but have no decent camera or mic....thanks for the input, really appreciated.

Ammar

DrKarnivore

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I was playing the other day and started getting more pleasing tones using OD2 as the crunch channel and OD1 as the high gain.

Try it, you might like it!

jshaffer23

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:57 pm

KKND wrote:Well, This is my first tube amp..so i am gonna learn to live with it the way it is, i will give the 70-80 more time, i will probably grow into them, i am getting an eq pedal soon, i am sure that will help along with replacing the tubes.

I will play around more and more, discover more possibilities, i will try and post some clips, but have no decent camera or mic....thanks for the input, really appreciated.

Ammar
The EQ pedal will help ALOT. I run one in the loop on mine and leave it on all the time. It really helps dial it in the way you want.

• Information