HT-60 Stage, Clean Channel Problem - nasty "clipping" and break up :(

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
misterdistortion

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi,

So far I have been loving getting to grips with my HT-60 Stage (see other threads for tubes and speaker changes) but the Clean channel
has started to play up.

If I play moderately hard using the "Modern" mode there is a really nasty metallic "bark" or "honking" distortion that
comes in as if the input is badly clipping. This only happens on the "Modern" setting the "boutique" and other settings on OD-1 & OD-2 are fine.

All the tubes are new and the pickups are medium hot output so are not hitting the front end excessively hard. I'm hoing that this will just be a preamp tube problem and not something that requires the amp to be returned to the dealer. Anyone had a similar problem recently?

PS, I have owned, gigged and used many other amps from many big names over the years and I'm sure that none of the other gear in the
signal path is playing up.

KKND

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:06 am

This don't sound normal a bit.

RokJok

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 am

I am accepting that when you said "the tubes are new" that you mean all the tubes. If not, start there. Even if it is not the main root of your particular problem, your ears will thank you.

My experience was slightly different. The clean channel (either voicing selected) was about the only thing I could tolerate from the stock tubes. Maybe it's just that I am accustomed to better quality tubes than TAD's or dime a dozen Sovtek's but my opinion is that they are far less than mediocre. The TAD's are horrid in the power section.

Anyway, my next issue was the noise level. Tried to kill two birds with one stone. Dropped a better quality tube in the clean channel socket so it might lower the noise level a bit too. I chose an old 12AT instead of a 12AU. The "T" has less gain. It did lower the noise but not that much. It definitely sounded better though.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

DrKarnivore

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi mate,

Have you eliminated everything from the signal path. I`m sure I remember mine doing that a couple of times when I had a few things in the FX loop, might have had the level on it set wrong. I know you mention your other channels\voicings ae ok, but I`m sure mine were too!

misterdistortion

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi DrK,

The only thing in the loop was a digital delay pedal (Guyatone MD-2, awesome pedals these MIJ mini pedals BTW, highly recommended) but I wonder whether the new ECC82 is at fault. I ran the HT-60 at reasonable small gig levels on Tuesday for a 4 hour band rehearsal and, "bloody typical" the fault didn't return, I'll try it at home again this weekend, wife and neighbours permitting 8) , and play around with different tubes in the same posiotion.

Also the Canabis Rex Speakers that I dropped in a couple of weeks ago are losing their stiffness and opening up nicely.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,

Cam.

DrKarnivore

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Weird. Intermittent problems are the worst, specially when they decide to show themselves at band practices or gigs............

I did swap my pre`s for EHX Gold Pins and didn`t have any other problems. Although I sold the HT60 3 weeks ago and it`s new owner hasn`t complained yet!

KKND

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 am

DrKarnivore wrote:Weird. Intermittent problems are the worst, specially when they decide to show themselves at band practices or gigs............

I did swap my pre`s for EHX Gold Pins and didn`t have any other problems. Although I sold the HT60 3 weeks ago and it`s new owner hasn`t complained yet!
Sorry to drift from the OP...sold your HT-60...why and for what if you dot mind please?

thanks

DrKarnivore

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 am

I spent a good 6 months with it, but I could never get a decent classic rock crunch that I liked (I`m in a Rock\Blues cover band, so OD1 was the most used). I think I`d tried different speakers, different tubes (pre and power) through different cabs, boosters, OD`s etc but got to a point where I couldn`t be bothered tweaking anymore, that and it had problems cutting through the band mix. It`s a shame really as I really liked the clean channels and OD2 was good for some metal noodling but it got silly when I plugged a cheap Marshall Guv'nor2 into the clean channel and got a better classic rock sound crunch out of that than OD1 channel (IMO of course).

I bought a Marshall JVM 205h in the end, which excels in that arena.

I`m still a Blackstar user though as I`ve had a HT5 for ages which also sounded great through a 4x12, big fat crunch!

eleloy

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:32 pm

DrKarnivore wrote:I spent a good 6 months with it, but I could never get a decent classic rock crunch that I liked (I`m in a Rock\Blues cover band, so OD1 was the most used). I think I`d tried different speakers, different tubes (pre and power) through different cabs, boosters, OD`s etc but got to a point where I couldn`t be bothered tweaking anymore, that and it had problems cutting through the band mix. It`s a shame really as I really liked the clean channels and OD2 was good for some metal noodling but it got silly when I plugged a cheap Marshall Guv'nor2 into the clean channel and got a better classic rock sound crunch out of that than OD1 channel (IMO of course).

I`m still a Blackstar user though as I`ve had a HT5 for ages which also sounded great through a 4x12, big fat crunch!
I think the way to improve the crunch tone is easy......an equalizer.

DrKarnivore

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 pm

eleloy wrote:
DrKarnivore wrote:I spent a good 6 months with it, but I could never get a decent classic rock crunch that I liked (I`m in a Rock\Blues cover band, so OD1 was the most used). I think I`d tried different speakers, different tubes (pre and power) through different cabs, boosters, OD`s etc but got to a point where I couldn`t be bothered tweaking anymore, that and it had problems cutting through the band mix. It`s a shame really as I really liked the clean channels and OD2 was good for some metal noodling but it got silly when I plugged a cheap Marshall Guv'nor2 into the clean channel and got a better classic rock sound crunch out of that than OD1 channel (IMO of course).

I think the way to improve the crunch tone is easy......an equalizer.
That was the first thing I tried..............parametric and 7 band.......

• Information