Blackstar Ht STAGE 60

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
trinity

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 am

I will definately put the HT60 up against the Behringer 212 .... he also has a rather nice sounding Johnson millennium 212
....... but I know the tubes will win out

we both wanted mesas btw

now he will be buying a venue series Blackstar for sure

The behringer is very clean
but it is very limited in the tone dept

a two trick pony at best
with junky effects

southcoastjim

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:31 pm

When i got my ht 60 about 2 -3 months ago at first i was a bit disappointed as I found it to be 'icepick' sharp on the treble even with it turned down, and just didnt seem to be anything more than an average amp (I started to wish I hadnt sold my Tiny Terror!!)

But after a week or so of fiddling with the settings I seem to have got to a good place. The key for me ( I play a Strat ) is to keep the guitar volume @ 7 or below to tame any excess treble and then balance the sound on the amp. Below is a pic of the settings I use now, although the master volume is usually set at about 11 o clock. You can open up the master volume and reduce the channel volume to put more emphasis on power tube tone and if youre feeling really brave push the master past 3 o clock and push the channel volume past 1 o clock.... Although I have to say as I play at home i very rarely do this!!

The CLEAN VOICING is OUT ('Boutique' voice) for some nice cleans with just a touch of compression and break up if you play hard. I find the IN ('Fender') voice much better with pedals however (I occassionally use a fuzz or distortion)

OD1 VOICING is OUT ('Classic' Voice)

OD2 VOICING is OUT ('Classic' Voice) sometimes, but some solos sound awesome with it switched IN ('Mid Boost').

I like to have the reverb turned up on the 'bright' setting for cleans, but tend to turn it down for crunch and lead.

The resonance is turned down low, as I run the combo with an Orange extension cab 2 x 12, hence if I increase the resonance or bass controls it gets pretty bassy!!

Although this was a pretty expensive amp to buy, it still represents great value for moeny, and I can see myself keeping this amp for a long time. The only thing I might consider doing to it is swapping out one of the stock speakers for something else, but havent really looked into it yet.

So basically, this is a class amp and you can get amazing tones from it, you just have to be a bit patient and experimental.

uktone

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:02 am

I tried the HT60 a couple of times & the HT100 at my local music store - I ended up buying the HT100 online which is on the way - everytime I tried the amp I liked it more - it has amazing clarity & I found both OD1 & OD2 to be very dynamic & clear + there's a lot of options to color the overall tone from warm to crunchy - I did not find the amp to be muddy or fizzy - I guess it depends on your guitar - pickups - speakers - strings & volume. Try the clean channel on a Marshall DSL - Talk about muddy!!! The HT60 & HT100 use an ECC82/12AU7 in the driver stage - The ECC82 is a lower gain preamp tube - my guess is it would have a cleaner tone & sound better at louder volumes - When I tried the HT60 I set the bass on 5 - mids on 6 - Treble & presence on 6 - reverb off - resonance (Low - 3 or 4) ISF on the British side - these settings had more than enough clarity on all (3) channels - The true test will be when the amp arrives & I can play it through my Marshall 1960A Cab - I'm a huge Marshall fan - I decided to get the Blacstar HT100 instead of another Marshall - My first impressions of the Blackstar were good & I kept coming back to it - great amps

matt86ie

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:04 pm

uktone wrote:I tried the HT60 a couple of times & the HT100 at my local music store - I ended up buying the HT100 online which is on the way - everytime I tried the amp I liked it more - it has amazing clarity & I found both OD1 & OD2 to be very dynamic & clear + there's a lot of options to color the overall tone from warm to crunchy - I did not find the amp to be muddy or fizzy - I guess it depends on your guitar - pickups - speakers - strings & volume. Try the clean channel on a Marshall DSL - Talk about muddy!!! The HT60 & HT100 use an ECC82/12AU7 in the driver stage - The ECC82 is a lower gain preamp tube - my guess is it would have a cleaner tone & sound better at louder volumes - When I tried the HT60 I set the bass on 5 - mids on 6 - Treble & presence on 6 - reverb off - resonance (Low - 3 or 4) ISF on the British side - these settings had more than enough clarity on all (3) channels - The true test will be when the amp arrives & I can play it through my Marshall 1960A Cab - I'm a huge Marshall fan - I decided to get the Blacstar HT100 instead of another Marshall - My first impressions of the Blackstar were good & I kept coming back to it - great amps

Hi i have my blackstar ht60 over 2 months now and yes it took some time to get used to it, the clean sound is excellent and the od sound at the start drove me bannanas on stage, but over the last two weeks i think i have it sorted, what i do is turn the gain up to nearly full and volume down to 0 and bring it up yo my desired level and wow ! i`m getting excellent od, also i plug into the emulated speaker output on the back and then to a channell on my desk which drives the sound out front without upsetting the other musicians on stage, after using this method i see that it cuts the sound of the amp on stage down , but really gives crystal clear fab sound out front, has anyone else tried this

DragonWique

Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:35 am

Are you looking to join the Blackstar crew and be a part of the amplification revolution? What skills and experience do you bring to the table that would make you a valuable addition to the team?

Be a fighter, be a dragon

• Information