Questions from potential HT-60 owner

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
apw100

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm

chris taylor wrote:Also, my OD2 channel is noisy while idle but any high-gain channel will have some noise going along with it due to all that gain being piledriven into the amp...hope this helps and good luck!

Rock on!
Yes, the HT-60 overdrive channels are noisy. Not as noisy as a Peavey 5150 II that I had, but more so than a Marshall JCM2000 TSL or Mesa Rectifier. Luckily, this can be fixed pretty easily with a good noise gate(I have an MXR).

Dr.Poca

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm

apw100 wrote:
Yes, the HT-60 overdrive channels are noisy. Not as noisy as a Peavey 5150 II that I had, but more so than a Marshall JCM2000 TSL or Mesa Rectifier. Luckily, this can be fixed pretty easily with a good noise gate(I have an MXR).
That's fine. If they noise is there normally I can deal with that by getting a noise gate. It was more that I wasn't sure whether it would normally be there.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out. There's a great sense of community on these forums.

I'll update you when I can!

KKND

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:06 am

At your service Doc :)

Dr.Poca

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:43 pm

It's been a while since my last post but as of today I am a proud HT-60 Stage owner!!

Picked it up this morning and have been having a great time playing about with it so far. There were no problems such as loose tubes or anything so I got straight into playing and I love this thing. The step up from anything I've played before is huge. It just sounds so so good.

Have to head in to work now so I've still got some tweaking to find my ideal sound for playing, but it sounds absolutely great anyway.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and info you guys gave. I really appreciate it and it definitely helped me make an informed choice. I'm glad to be part of the Blackstar family now!

KKND

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Congrats Doc....you will love it. Image

bdubbs

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:52 pm

You'll be fine on tubes unless they are going. Mine just redplated, so got 8 months out of the power amp tubes and I play a lot and loud.

If they work you won't need to really change them.

johnrobbfl

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Congrats on your purchase.

I recently purchased a Soloist HT60 and a friend just got the Stage 60. Both sound awesome. I saw in your previous posts you were talking about tubes. I was new (or new again since it was 20 years since I last played with a tube amp). Although the Blackstar sounded amazing out of the box, I took it to a local service Blackstar service center and had all the tubes replaced with Mesa Boogie tubes. It made the amp quieter (less hiss) and at the same time it plays louder with a more open clean channel and a insane amount of OD if you want it. The total cost of the tubes and labor for biasing them was $135 (US) and I definitely think it was worth it.

Just my .02

Enjoy your amp!!

John \nn/

johnrobbfl

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Congrats on your purchase.

I recently purchased a Soloist HT60 and a friend just got the Stage 60. Both sound awesome. I saw in your previous posts you were talking about tubes. I was new (or new again since it was 20 years since I last played with a tube amp). Although the Blackstar sounded amazing out of the box, I took it to a local service Blackstar service center and had all the tubes replaced with Mesa Boogie tubes. It made the amp quieter (less hiss) and at the same time it plays louder with a more open clean channel and a insane amount of OD if you want it. The total cost of the tubes and labor for biasing them was $135 (US) and I definitely think it was worth it.

Just my .02

Enjoy your amp!!

John

\nn/

apw100

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:59 pm

[quote="johnrobbfl"]Although the Blackstar sounded amazing out of the box, I took it to a local service Blackstar service center and had all the tubes replaced with Mesa Boogie tubes. It made the amp quieter (less hiss) and at the same time it plays louder with a more open clean channel and a insane amount of OD if you want it./quote]

Actually, there really isnt such a thing as a "Mesa-Boogie tube". Mesa doesn't manufacture their tubes, they just rebrand other manufacturers products. If you look at their 12AX7's, you will notice a black rubber band around the middle which is covering up the original branding.
You could probably save a few bucks next time by going with JJ tubes since I believe these are the 12AX7's that Mesa is using now. I think that the 6L6 power tubes are Sovteks or Rubys.

Dr.Poca

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 pm

I'll definitely keep the suggestions in mind for whenever I need to get the stock tubes replaced. At the minute I'm happy with them. The amp is an absolute dream to play through. It sounds just beautiful. It's be best bit of musical equipment I've ever bought :P

• Information