THIN AND HARSH SOUND OF THE HT-40 ON OVERDRIVE CHANNEL

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Emopunk

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:38 pm

I forgot to say that before replacing preamp tubes, boutique clean was not really into my tastes. Now it seems to me more alive and warm than modern mode! Am I crazy in this?

thephantum

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Emopunk wrote:I forgot to say that before replacing preamp tubes, boutique clean was not really into my tastes. Now it seems to me more alive and warm than modern mode! Am I crazy in this?
Nope, you're not crazy. Those are all preamp settings, so the quality of the preamp tubes will have a direct impact on the different voicing's. :mrgreen:

darthchadius

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:07 am

The voice setting on the clean channel also affect the power amp. You can really notice this if you play something through the effects loop and change the voice switch whilst not playing anything through the preamp (obviously). I really notice the difference when I have my Digitech Trio (yes, I had to get one and love it) in the loop with just the drums going. The difference in sound from the power amp is quite dramatic.

I wasn't really expecting it to change as much. When I noticed it the first time I though I mixed the jacks up and was coming out the mixer jack instead of the amp jack on the Trio. But it was connected correctly. So I switched the clean voice a few to times to be sure.

I haven't tried doing this with the OD channel yet. But will.

Not that it should matter, but I was playing through a 4x12 with Vintage 30's in it.,

Does anyone else notice this? I hope you do otherwise I will have to check the mod I made to control the voice switch.

thephantum

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:32 pm

That's interesting. There must be some kind of tone stack and/or modulation and/or emulation type circuit just prior to the signal hitting the output stage...

darthchadius

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:15 pm

So, I am not crazy. I thought I had read something about the voice switch on the clean channel affecting the power amp so I decided to check the manual. Here is the text:

The Clean Channel has two modes, ‘boutique’ and ‘modern’ and its own Tone
control provides a wide range of clean tones. The Voice switch reconfigures both
the preamplifier voicing and gain structure, and the power amplifier damping, to
reproduce either ringing Class A Performance in the ‘boutique’ mode, or very clean
and tight Class AB tones in the ‘modern’ setting.

It's the less damping that I am hearing.

thephantum

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:53 pm

See? You learn something new every day. It never even occurred to me that they would build in different damping levels to either warm up or crisp up output stage response...

Good stuff.

poisondrop

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:08 am

Hello :)

The amp sounds perfect if you know how to use the eq, volume, isf etc. trust me man, when i bought the amp i was not completely happy because i also thought it sounded kinda not good. But after spending some time with it, i found out that isf works with the bass mid and treble eq, and not just a stand alone knob. after i figured how to use the eq, i was freakin blown away by how eargasmic the amp sounded both clean and dirty. I've tried marshalls, peaveys, mesa, and this amp is by far the best sounding amp.

after spending a great amount of time to get to know the amp, i finally figured out how to dial some great classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal tones like van halen 1, steel panther, acdc, the darkness, slash, black sabbath, ted nuggent motor city mayhem live etc.

just bare in mind that this amp is very pedal, speaker, and pickup specific. it really brings out the real sound of your gear.

this amp sounds great with seymour JB and Jazz hot-rodded set.

• Information