Stage 60 Speaker and Tube Changes: WOW

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Beejer

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Tried out my "new" gently used Ht-60 after I received it, with stock speakers, 3x 12ax7EH's, and 2x Ruby El34b's.
I sounded pretty good, but it sounded A LOT better plugged into my 4x12 Marshall cab.

Replaced the stock speakers with a Vintage 30 (Black Label-Silver Basket-444 cone) and... a 1971 G12M Greenback that I have had a long time a is not hard used.
Sounded even better than the 4x12. Holy mama!!

Replaced the preamp tubes with Preferred Series 7025 (V1 and V2) and a RFT ECC82 in V3.

This sucker simply rocks, the amazing variety of tonal variations is astounding. WOW!!!!

Giddy over being a Stage 60 owner.

I am going to try some other preamp tube changes in the future, and I will post them as they are evaluated.
I just wish that you didn't have to pull the chassis just to change preamp tubes. There is no other way to get them in straight , and you truly risk bending the pins.

Take care now.

majikmojo

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:46 pm

i've never removed my chassis to change tubes
it does take a bit of patience and a pin straightner will take care of a stubborn one
but i find it pretty easy to do after a few trys...

Beejer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:27 pm

I've never had this problem with any other amp, but these sockets are so deeply recessed, and do not have the usual guides.

Next time I'll try laying on my back with my head in the cabinet with a flashlight!! :lol:

I plan on experimenting with more tubes.

Any suggestions on EL34's? The Tube Store uses SED winged C's in their "Upgrade" pack.
I hear JJ's work well, but I am a bit leery of them.
Have heard good hings about Tungsol El34's too.

majikmojo

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 pm

:lol: thats pretty much how i did it the first time - laid it face down and kinda laid down with a flashlight and swapped the pre's

Markystang

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:15 am

Beejer wrote:I've never had this problem with any other amp, but these sockets are so deeply recessed, and do not have the usual guides.

Next time I'll try laying on my back with my head in the cabinet with a flashlight!! :lol:

I plan on experimenting with more tubes.

Any suggestions on EL34's? The Tube Store uses SED winged C's in their "Upgrade" pack.
I hear JJ's work well, but I am a bit leery of them.
Have heard good hings about Tungsol El34's too.
That's exactly what I do lol. Lie on my back with a small flashlight between my teeth.
BTW, I have the Winged C's in my HT20 and I'm quite happy with them. They seem to be fairly popular.

Sonofarich

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Markystang wrote:BTW, I have the Winged C's in my HT20 and I'm quite happy with them. They seem to be fairly popular.
I agree...did the same thing with my HT20.

AscottAudio

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:06 am

I changed my HT60 tubes a little while ago for Electro Harmonics power tubes and JJ pre tubes. I did it without a re-bias and the amp sounded good.

I recently put a couple of Celestions 30 watters (from the mid 70's) in my Blackstar extension cab and was quite surprised how much nicer they were than the original 80 seventies.. much more crunch.. and clarity in the mid and highs.

So.. now I am thinking about putting something else speaker wise in the main HT combo box..I am a bit reluctant to put in anything like the old ones I put in the extension cab because... they are HEAPS heavier than the stock 80-70's.

I have done some searching and see the new Celestion 12 century speakers are getting a pretty good rap and they are also meant to be very light weight with the neodymium magnets..

Anyone used these speakers or have any replacements ideas that sound great but aren't going to break my back???

Thanks..

gerrygt62

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:18 am

hmmmm, no biasing ,ehhh?? I heard the same thing with the HT40. might actually try and do just that---btw: did my HT20 with Mullard EL34s and JJ ECC83s. no problem it works like a charm

boxofspiders

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:26 pm

gerrygt62 wrote:hmmmm, no biasing ,ehhh?? I heard the same thing with the HT40. might actually try and do just that---btw: did my HT20 with Mullard EL34s and JJ ECC83s. no problem it works like a charm
I've mentioned it in a couple other threads but amp builder Scott Johnson at Swampworks told me that my HT-40 did not need biasing. I trust and respect his knowledge so I didn't hesitate. I've done it twice now without any problems.

A lot of amps these days are kind of disposable. Have you seen the guts to these things? Pretty complex. So if something major does go wrong it's going to be an expensive pain in the ass. Don't get me wrong, I love my amp and I think it sounds great. But my next amp will be something much more simple.

gerrygt62

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:17 pm

SWEET!! sounds like it's 'cathode based' like my HT20 is ,time to shop for tubes!!! LOL!!!

• Information