standby switch for the ht-20?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
maccayoung

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:13 am

I just got an ht-20 and I'm loving it. I have a question though, anyone know why it doesn't have a standby switch?

Last edited by maccayoung on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

r.strefford

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:25 am

I believe that if you pull the input cable out it automatically goes into standby.

So best way to turn on/off is to turn power on before you plug a jack in and off after you have pulled the jack out.

Superchampable

Sat May 01, 2010 2:41 am

Ya dude I dont know why it dosnt have a switch.. that makes the amp kind of cheezy and was one of the few reasons why I went with the 40. The ht5 has one so it should have been a no brainer for the 20. Blackstar said somthing like "its a good idea and we dont know why other companys dont use this great idea" in a video I saw. Ill tell you what, it is stuped to have to pull the plug out! It dosnt look classy without one and itll put more wear and tear on the input and cord. Hope your having a blast with it, I canceled my 20 for a 40 now got to wait 5 more weeks till there in stock.. oh the sorrow

gt_jumper

Sat May 01, 2010 3:03 am

My HT-20 still has that slight hiss when i pull the cord out.... does that mean mine is faulty?

Icarus

Tue May 04, 2010 4:46 pm

maccayoung wrote:I just got an ht-20 and I'm loving it. I have a question though, anyone know why it doesn't have a standby switch?
I'm guessing it's the same reason why Krank Rev Jr's dont have standby switches, and that is because the head isn't powerful enough to damage the valves.
Although as mentioned it may still go into standby mode if the instrument cable is pulled but that is slightly confusing as to why there is no switch if it indeed does have a standby function. It seems it is for times when the cable is removed and not there to warm the valves up before use.

gt_jumper

Tue May 04, 2010 7:15 pm

i just turn it all the way down for a minute, then switch it off, i think that would have the same effect? ;)

ezietsman

Wed May 05, 2010 8:14 am

gt_jumper wrote:i just turn it all the way down for a minute, then switch it off, i think that would have the same effect? ;)
No it doesn't have the same effect. When a valve amp is in standby mode, only the heater elements in the valves get current. This is there so that you can heat up the valves a bit before you switch on power, which results in a massive voltage applied to the valves. Turning down the amp doesn't take away the high voltage over the valves. Applying this high voltage to cold valves will result in valve damage MUCH sooner, than when you use the standby.

As for amps without a standby switch. These are usually amps with a valve rectifier (which most the HT series don't have). The voltage and current through the rectifier valve rises slowly and this forces the entire amp to come on slowly as well, which means the valves aren't exposed to operating voltages when they're cold.

I also think its silly that the HT-20 doesn't have a standby switch. I also think they should have included the voice options to its channels. I didn't want another 40 watt amp (my Valveking was DAMN loud) but I may have to do it. Must just wait for them things to become available here so I can try them.

gt_jumper

Wed May 05, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks for the info ezi!

Im pretty sure the amp is still fully on when the cord is pulled though, anyone else with the HT-20 chime in on this?

ezietsman

Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 am

gt_jumper wrote:Thanks for the info ezi!

Im pretty sure the amp is still fully on when the cord is pulled though, anyone else with the HT-20 chime in on this?

It's on, but only the heater elements on the valves. Well, then again, I may be wrong but this is how most other valve amps operate in my (limited) understanding.

lucidspoon

Wed May 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Yeah. If it's like other tube amps, then the power switch just provides power to the tubes to heat them up. Assuming that with this particular amp the input jack is what turns standby on and off, then you would just want to turn it on for a few mintues before plugging in, because you don't want to send a signal over cold tubes. For turning it off, you should be able to just turn the power switch off without worrying about if the guitar is plugged in or not.

Is there nothing in the manual about it?

• Information