Using the emulated output while gigging?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
tfs4473

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Started playing live shows with my band this year, and one of the problems I'm encountering is whether or not to have the sound guy run my Stage 60 through the board via the emulated output, or just ask him ot mic it.

Can anyone have experineces with live play recommend how their amps are either left un-miced, miced, or run through the board directly?

Thanks.

Thom

myk.robinson

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:04 pm

When I play at church, I use the emulated output so there is not quite as much stage noise as what you'd want to have in a different setting. The emulated output sounds fantastic and seems accurately reproduce the tone you have through your speakers, unless you have swapped the stock speakers :) The only issue I would have is if you need more of the natural speaker sound to produce controlled feedback.

Give it a shot in practice and see what you think. I use the emulated output for recording also. Here's a sample recorded with the emulated output http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CcF0PecyM

Markystang

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:43 pm

I also play my Blackstar HT20 in church. We meet in a movie theatre, and I generally have the amp on a small floor stand angled up in front of me, as a personal monitor. I've gone to the pa both ways, miked with an SM-57 off center or using the emulated out through a DI box. I prefer to use a mic because of my speaker swap, but the EO definitely works very well too. What I've heard of it sounds fantastic. It's the real deal man.
Like myk.robinson suggested, I'd try it both ways and see what works better for you.

tfs4473

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks, guys. This last show we tried micing it of-center, and that seemed to work better than the DI previously (for this venue, anyway). I'm beginning to realize that part of the problem is that the drummer is so loud that I have to turn up my volume to hear my playing over him, but that's also messing with the overall mix of the band. The end result is that we're much louder than some venues would prefer. In practices this isn't much of an issue since we can all turn up until we can hear each other, but in smaller venues the guitar/bass/violin/vocals seem to be able to play much more quietly than the drummer seems to be able to.

We'll keep working on this, but any further information/experience is always welcome.

Thom

Markystang

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:04 am

Have you ever thought of getting one of those plexiglass surrounds for the drums? Might be able to tame your stage volume a bit.

PTF

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 am

Or (dare I say it) a conversation with your drummer?

Danddandan

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 pm

I've done a few gigs now with my HT60soloist playing in a wedding/function band. I use the DI out, it works a treat for how i use it. I keep my stage volume quite high, only a shade under what would if wernt going thru the p.a. so most of the auidable guitar sound is still coming from the amp. but putting the DI thru the p.a helps thicken out the sound, as the DI voice sounds quite different to the raw amp. of coarse it spreads the sound too, usually pan it abit to the opposite side of the stage to where i am to ballance it out.

another plus is i dont have to make as much noise at sound checks. i put the amp on standby, mute the p.a and watch the desk level meters to match the volume of my different sounds.

MikeD

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Plexi the animal....we did...and do...even in our rehearsal studio.......pays off big time in the long run for both you and the audience....electric tape with a wad of tissue in it, placed underneath the cymbals helps too (if needed)...and of course...a thick rug underneath him, decent backdrop 15 cm from the wall and even getting him on a higher stage then yourselfs will help............we do weddings, and small klubbs and even the brides grandma doesn´t complain!!.....and for those of you who think it´s the drummers fault...play a gig without your plectrum before asking him to use bambu-sticks or play quieter

Guitar Stu

Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 am

I use a piece of plexi cut in half with a piano hinge placed in a V in front of my combo. The Plexi cuts out the beam that will come out of your rig and blast the audience directly in front of it and spreads the sound around. Always used to have trouble hearing the amp on stage as sound shooting though at knee height but with the plexi my amp is crystal clear to myself and the other band members can hear me better. The other guitar player doesn't use one and I can hardly hear him.

You also have to crank your amp more as the volume in front of the baffle drops but you get a good spread through the audience if not using a PA. You can set the baffle up in a few different ways to affect the sound. Google plexi baffle for some pictures and vids.

It's a technique used by SRV and Joe Bonamassa. Good Luck.

• Information