HT Stage 60 - new speakers

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
rteglgaa

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a Stage 60, but after playing it for about a year, I've decided to try and change the speakers. I already did the "mandatory" tube switch :)

I've read several Places that the amp doesn't respond well to Vintage 30 speakers. I've therefore decided on a pair of Celestion G12-K100. Problem is, they only come in 8 ohm versions - and the installed speakers are 16 ohm.

So my question is: What do I need to do when swapping the speakers? Difference wiring I suppose?

Also, will two 8ohm play less loud than the two 16 ohm? I'm a newbie on ohms and that shit, so please bear with me :)

And one last thing: What are peoples experiences with different CELESTION speakers in the Stage 60? Not interested in info on other brands :)

Thanks,
Rasmus

Markystang

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 pm

If I were you, I'd wire my two 8ohm speakers in series and plug into the "1x16ohm" speaker jack.
That's what I'd do..... :)

rteglgaa

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Markystang wrote:If I were you, I'd wire my two 8ohm speakers in series and plug into the "1x16ohm" speaker jack.
That's what I'd do..... :)
OK. Are the speakers already wired in series from the factory, or is that something I need to change?

/Rasmus

Don G

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:22 am

The stock speakers are wired in parallel.
Check out this video on series wiring and you'll get up to speed pretty fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGMdr6SH-E

Once there you will see a lot of videos on speaker wiring.

Dizzyg12

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Where did you read that about the v30s?

trinity

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 am

^ for real ...

I have V30s in mine and love them!
but Im not playin the djent djent widdly widdly kid stuff

Don G

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:35 am

I don't know about the OP's reference to V30's but I have experienced cone cry myself using V30's in open backed cabinets before. I remember Timmons mentioning it some time ago as well and there are quite a few posts about it in other forums. You have to be playing at a higher (stage) volume in the upper register to really notice it but when you do it's really annoying. A lot of players will never experience cone cry just based on how they EQ their sound and the type of music they play. I ended up using G12T100's and they don't seem to have the problem plus they have the more pronounced bass response that I like.

rteglgaa

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 am

Dizzyg12 wrote:Where did you read that about the v30s?
Various forums - I think you'll find it fairly easy with a googling.

I'm supprised there haven't been more answers from people experiencing with various Celestion speakers in the blackstar. Is everyone using Eminence etc.?

cadblaster

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 am

What tone are you looking for ?? Perhaps a particular song or artist would be helpful.
I've tried about all the celestions and a few from eminence.
No bad speakers,, just a question of the tone your chasing. :mrgreen:

rteglgaa

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am

cadblaster wrote:What tone are you looking for ?? Perhaps a particular song or artist would be helpful.
I've tried about all the celestions and a few from eminence.
No bad speakers,, just a question of the tone your chasing. :mrgreen:
Well, actually I was just chasing peoples general experiences with different Celestions in the Stage 60 specificaly. But since you ask, I am playing hard rock style. I want a tight but powerful bottom (not muddy) and the top must not be piercing. That's generally it. But most importantly I don't need a list of Celestions that match this description... I need a list of Celestions that match this description IN A STAGE 60 :geek: :)

/Rasmus

• Information