New Blackstar HT-40 problem?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
enegativ

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 pm

steve15366 wrote:My Clean volume needs to be set lower than my overdrive channel, but I have experienced this with other valve amps too.
it does'nt really present a problem, i wonder if it's delibrate? :?:
Well, I believe it's subjective. The clean volume in my HT-40 worked like you just said but I found out that once the clean starts to break up the volume barely increases, it just gets dirtier. While in the overdrive channel it increases til the end. So, setting both volumes at 12 o'clock the clean side will be louder but if you turn them to max then the overdrive channel will probably be louder.

Anyway you're definitely right, it isn't a problem.

b00ker

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:47 pm

jamminfool77 wrote:
enegativ wrote:Hi all,

I just got my new HT-40 couple of days ago and everything seems to work fine but I've notice something I didn't expect at all:

- When switching channels -either using the footswitch or the switch in the amp- the change is not immediate, there is some latency, I couldn't measure it but it's not 10 ms, it's more like 100 ms. Not terrible but noticeable. Is this common or my amp has some issue?

- Besides, I've noticed people comments the overdrive channel is louder than the clean one. It doesn't happen like that in my case, they are pretty similar but I'd say the clean one is louder! Am I the only one?

I'm starting to think my amp is actually damaged.
It is my understanding that BlackStar has different FirmWare updates. The first series HT amps they released had some issues with the footswitcj and they fixed this in later models. I have a HT-100 Head and i had issues when switching between clean channel to OD2. The OD2 would sound strange (low vol and not as bright) However, when i switched from OD1 to OD2 there was no problems. I contacted BlackStar and they informed me about a firmware update for the foot switch. I had to take it to an authorized dealer and they had it fixed for me.
I have this exact issue with the channel switching latency in my HT Club 40. I contacted Korg and they claimed that there is no firmware in the HT Venue amps that they are straight forward tube amps. This doesn't seem right to me. There is clearly a program chip on the PCB and this guy claims he got an update. Then they just tried to sell me a new footswitch, which I have already ruled out. I may contact blackstar directly and see what they say. I don't have a warranty and I'm in the US so I don't expect them to do anything, but I would like to at least know what the cause is.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (192.48 KiB) Viewed 8608 times

thephantum

Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 am

If you read that 6 year old post correctly, he claims to have gotten an update for the footswitch...not the amp. To my knowledge, the only Blackstar footswitch that might require firmware updates is the FS-10. The HT-100 comes with the FS-7 which is a 4-button footswitch over a DB9 connector. It's possible it has firmware, but I don't believe so.

The footswitch that comes with the HT-40 is the FS-8, which is just a standard latching style, two button switch. I also know for a fact that it does not require firmware.

In addition, none of the Venue series amps have any firmware. While they do have some IC components, they are straight up, Class AB, push-pull tube amps. It's the ID series amps that have firmware and regularly receive updates.

If you are having a lot of latency switching channels, you either have a faulty footswitch or something is wrong with the switching circuit in the amp.

b00ker

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:20 am

Thank you for this. I have tried multiple footswitches with the same result, so I guess it's in the switching circuit. I was under the impression that this was a programmable chip, which needed to be updated. I apologize if my post seemed angry or ignorant, I perhaps vented a little more than I should have. I appreciate the help I 've gotten from the members of this board.
Attachments
ht40_c10.jpg
ht40_c10.jpg (230.86 KiB) Viewed 8608 times

thephantum

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Having a micro-controller doesn't always mean there are updates. Many pieces of electrical equipment now have micro controllers in them and most of those do not require firmware updates (TV's, microwaves, refrigerators, etc).

If it was meant to have an update, there would be a way to get the firmware to the controller without having to remove said controller.

I would try contacting B* directly and see what they say. They might be able to point you in the right direction. However, since you are out of warranty, you will have to pay out of pocket to have any issues fixed. :|

• Information