clean voice foot switch

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
darthchadius

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:49 am

Just tried the Club 40's footswitch with the clean voice switch mod. Works fine, channel LED on for crunch setting and LED off for the clean setting. The LED may not have been as bright with the diode installed for my mod. If you use a standard dry switch like the 40's switch it should be fine.

Rhandy

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:06 pm

darthchadius wrote:Yes, use a latching switch.
I used a TRS jack as 1) I plan to connect the OD voice switch a footswitch as well and 2) I have a few of them.

I used a Marshall TSL 5 button footswitch for my mod. I needed to modify the switch as well, but that is how I got my LED. You should be able to use the same Blackstar footswitch that comes with the Club 40. Since there is 3.3V on the trace you are connecting to, the LED will light when the switch is open. I will give it a try and let you know.

One of the main reasons I went with the TSL footswitch was so I could go from OD to clean with one switch. I modified the footswitch to turn the OD off at the same time as switching the voice switch. The TSL switch also controls the reverb and I am using the FX switch to contol the effects loop.

I run my clean channel volume quite high, around 3 o'clock to get really good crunch tones. So when switching to the clean position I usually need to back the guitar volume off to prevent breakup.

Let me know if you would like any more info.

I have one HT 40, and I think is agreat Mod, have footswicth for change 2 voices, clean and OD voice. I see on pictures how and where I can Solder resistance for clean channel. Anyone can teel me where I can do it the same for OD channel?

Thanks!!!

darthchadius

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:18 pm

To get footswitch control over the OD channels voice switch you need to pull the line between R336 and R363 to common. See the pics I posted ealier to see these on the board. The OD voice control is right beside the clean channels voice control. A latching switch is required.

Anyone know how to change the forum topic name? These mods would only apply to the HT 40 and possible the HT 50 head. Maybe the topic should reflect that since the original post was for the Stage 60. However, the principles would be the same for other amps. It seems the PIC MCU is controlling the amp for voicing, channel selection and reverb switches. They all come back to the PIC.

darthchadius

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:19 am

I thought I would include the schematic of the mods required to use the Marshall TSL 5 button footswitch (PEDL-00021). This is a very small mod to effective give you a 3 channel HT Club 40 with mid boost/shift on the OD channel (depending on your settings). For me, this is really keeping me from buying a 3 channel amp at the moment.

I picked up my PEDL-00021 used for $20.
The mod is basically 1) add one diode to the PCB 2) find a way to give it some power 3) connect the lines to your amp. I found the schematic on-line and it matched the board quite well. My changes are in red.
Marshall 5 Switch Pedal - PEDL-00021 (Mods for Blackstar HT Club 40).JPG
Foot switch Mods Schematic
Marshall 5 Switch Pedal - PEDL-00021 (Mods for Blackstar HT Club 40).JPG (128.56 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
Functionality:
* When the Clean button "A" is pressed it selects the clean channel and pulls the clean voice line low.
* When the Crunch button "B" is pressed it selects the clean channel and releases the clean voice line.
* When the Lead button "C" is pressed it selects the OD channel.
* A, B and C buttons are momentary but the circuit does the latching for you.
* Reverb and Effects are latching switches and do what they do :) I drew the schematic with Effects controlling OD.

I am just using the standard 9 VDC supply that I use with my stop boxes for power. From the amp mods you can see I added a 1/4" stereo jack to the amp, so I am uses 2 stereo cables 1 for the channel and reverb and the other for clean and OD voice switches. If you look at the previous pic I posted of the footswitch you can see I have added other jacks and am using the Effects to switch and effect loop, so I have added a 6th button for the OD voice at the top between Lead and Reverb.

Here are the settings I am using to get great clean, rocking crunch and super OD (scooped mids) and nice mid boost with the voice mods and the 5 button footswitch.
HT Club 40 Settings.jpg
My settings
HT Club 40 Settings.jpg (110.33 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
These mods take the HT Club 40 from a really versatile amp and make it a really functional amp. For about $30 in parts, this is a major functional improvement.

• Information