Blackstar Venue in 4CM with new POD HDs

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
ffooxx

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:40 am

Last edited by ffooxx on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KKND

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Cant open these at work. Will go home and let you know. Interesting by the way....

ffooxx

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Interested in answer?

KKND

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:06 am

B?

gt_jumper

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 am

Just for my 2cents, i have heard a gt10 hooked up via 4cm and live it sounded awesome, but without the band by its self it was shitty to say the least. I have had about an hour with the HD500 and i can say its no better then any other digital pedal. I have nothing against it, but it wasnt for me, it didn't feel open enough.

carydad

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Update:
Picked up a GSP1101 w/C2 floorboard and ditched the POD. The GSP sounds amazing in 4 cable mode. I have presets 1-4 set up to use the GSP preamp and the 5th preset uses the BS preamp. Integrates wonderfully. I had patch 4 and 5 so close that the band couldnt tell which was amp pre and which was GSP pre. Just need to make sure you balance the volume between the preamps if you go this route. Very cool setup. It sits in for my AXE rig now so I can mess with the AXE at home and not carry around a bunch of stuff. Could gig either setup without worry.

ffooxx

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:57 pm

I have to say I put the POD HD500 back to the box.After playing with it for a while now I and i couldn't get it worked.Some say the the HD400 works as dream as the HD500 have issues with the mixer which i think is sucking the life out of the 4CM usage

rickshapiro

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I know this is an old thread but just in case someone comes upon it. I just purchased a Club 40 and own a HD500. As long as you set the levels appropriately through the signal change and have the right settings in the HD500 you can achieve some amazing sounds. I've done the 4CM, just used the effects loop and have also just used the return with the HD500 preamp models and the flexibility and sound is just amazing. It took me a few hours to get it right, but once you get the levels right there is no noticeable "tone suck" . This is all my opinion take it for what it is worth.

ffooxx

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:30 am

Hi I couldn't agree with you more. The cleans and mild overdrive sounds from HD are truly amazing especial adding some of the modulation and reverb effects if it is connected to tube amps return.
The problem form me was the high gain stuff I love the BS sound therefore I wanted to utilise the 4cm. I spent countless hours to tweak it (output levels, mixer position,mixer levels, effect loop position, output options etc...), but no matter what i did I still felt that there is something in the way. The traditional setup gave me that gut shimmer and i really felt as part of the sound whereas with the POD in the way it was just a sound(nod bad, but just the sound).
The most irritating for me was when I got a sound which i liked tested, recorded, the next day it was shit and didn't like it at all. This went on and on and I kept going back to traditional set up. I found that I did more tweaking and testing then actual playing and practicing.
Luckily the HD500 found a new home so it will serve the owner much better and he will be able to get the sound he want.
Every musician has different ears and likes different sounds. What I might dislike other will love and vice versa.
I am just expressing my feeling and opinion.
So those POD H500 lovers, please take no offense

johnsontylerj

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 pm

I know it's several months later - but these posts were very helpful to me starting out with my HT Stage 60 in July of last year. My gig rig is a POD HD500 into the Amp - and depending on the show we are playing - ill either do 4CM or just run the amp as a power amp for pod tones. When I first got the Blackstar (I refuse to call this amp BS!) I had to run it as a power amp because the tubes were finicky - once I got it sorted out I fell in LOVE with every tone that came out of this amp. Ive tried DESPERATELY to get the rig To sound right with the 4CM - I just can't. The first gig I played using the 4CM - I noticed a drop in that "gut shimmer" that ffooxx is talking about! The tactile response is different - the sustain isn't right, etc. so, I got a new job and have not been playing out 2-3 times per week like I was last year - so I had time to mess around with this setup...(I don't give up easily). I can't get rid of my POD because I play in 4 touring cover bands and I need the effects versatility - I LITERALLY, just yesterday, priced out the bare minimum essentials to replace the pod with real effects (thought the tone would be better) but it was like $3400! Anyway - I'm going to post a video of my findings and methodology on here for us Blackstar Brothers. The bottom line is this - it changes the tone and you have to deal with that - but I guarantee that my method will get us closer to what we want than anything else out there. It's been gig tested - and audience approved. I'll post the vid by the end of the month.

Cheers guys!
-Tyler

Fender parts Strat
Fender blacktop Strat
Gretsch Gold-Top Pro-Jet.
AI:Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2
Last edited by johnsontylerj on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change signature

• Information