Blackstar Venue in 4CM with new POD HDs

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
ffooxx

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am

Hi All, I am thinking to 4CM my HT40 with POD HD500 to get rid off the pedal board anybody here has tried it? There has been a number of discussions about the M9 perfect complement so I am thinking to put is a step forward with the HD500. I would really appreciate your views and comments, mainly about losing the Blackstar tone, dynamics issues etc.

KKND

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi there, i tried HT-5 and HT stage 60 4cm with boss gt-10....bad idea, sounded digital immediately. The M9 is bunch of effects so yeah that is a savior but HD500 have amp modeling so i am not sure hwo much you need that, the HT-40 have an excellent tone, i know, so why spoil it with digital modeling and i am sure most people are seeking the efx not the amps from these units, so the m13 is a better bet for you.....my personal opinion though. Thanks

ffooxx

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you for your speedy response, HD500 has AMP modeling, which can be completely bypassed it looks a bit better than m13.I love the tone for my HT40,but I ant to me more flexible in the effects pre and post plus WAH pedal.
So it seems that I need to buy to test and if I don't like I will return it :)
I also had an opportunity to test my HT-5 with GT-8 the clean was fine sounded natural however the dirt channel was crap, but I assume it was due to the FX issue on HT-5

KKND

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Actually thinking about it, you are better of buying the HD500 and by passing the amp modeling knowing that these are at your disposal when you need them unlike the M13.they cost 500$ both so yeah, and since you have the luxury to"return"an item if you don't like it......morning more to say

O an side note, Boss might be releasing a new iteration of the GT this namm show, keep your eyes open.....

Thanks

steve15366

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi I use the 4cm with the HT40 a Peavey Classic 50 head, Marshall 2553 Jubille and a Fender the Twin with great results,from a Boss GT6 and GT8.
Once the Amp emulation on the GT has been disabled and the fx lopp mix set correctly, just use the unit in manual mode and away you go.
I use a multicore style cable which tidies everything up especially at gigs.

ffooxx

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Just a silly recording I have done with the POD HD 500 simulation of the Marshall 800, as I can not record to PC with the 4CM due to the just cab simulation in POD is missing.Once I get home I will review the 4CM how does this react in the 4CM set up.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/95-PO ... 282%29.mp3

AlexVDL

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:06 pm

I have the ht-100 and a pod hd500 with 4cm connected

The pod sucks the tone of the blackstar if you use 1 effect or more. No fx in the chain is almost not noticable in sound. Put one or more fx in the chain, even a wah but leave them all off or bypassed, then the sound is noticably different. Less direct and lacks a bit clearity.

I have all the amp models disabled. I'm using a nobels ms-4 midiswitcher to switch channels on the ht-100. The podhd now acts as a midicontroller, so I can switch the channels on my amp. I use clean, od 1 for ac/dc style sounds, od2 for heavy rythm and od2 plus a volume boost and delay from the hd500 for solos. It works awesome.

The sound difference can be compensated by using an EQ from the pod, but then you add another fx to your chain thus altering the tone again. So i use as less fx as possible and don't mind the loss in sound. On stage with loud volumes it's not very noticable, because I use earplugs anyways :lol:

ffooxx

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 am

I have tested the POD this weekend with my HT-40, and there is a tiny bit of difference when HT-40 preamp is used as stombox (4CM).
I did few recordings with POD, no effects, simulated TS and OD in front,and delay in POST and that compared to just connected HT-40 with GT-OD in front.
The conclusion I have is that POD HD does not suck any tone at all the only noticeable difference is its taking some of the bass frequencies which for recording and mixing you are going to cut any way. If you record something DRY and the with POD HD and apply Hi-Pass Filter on around 150 HZ with 24dB/Oct than there is no difference at all.
I think it works pretty well

carydad

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 pm

I couldnt get the HD500 to work well with the HT60-solist. It just colors the tone even with the amp model bypassed. Not impressed at all with the HD500. The gsp1101 on the other hand fits it perfectly. I had one setting internal preamp(gsp1101 preamp) and one external(HT). Got them to sound pretty much identical. Nobody in the room could tell which was real and which was memorex. No noise, no mud, no color. Just great stuff.

Tried the HD in 4 cable and just direct in front...as if I didnt have a loop. It was much better in the 4cm mode, but still didnt impress me. The GSP/HT is now my B rig, the AXE-fx/QSCK12 are my A rig and the HD500/velo300 is my home rig.

ffooxx

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm

everybody has different ears, and in live situation with full band scenario you would hardly tell any difference.
I have it set up in 4CM(simulated drive pre and delay and eq and other effect post ) and I have tried to run it trough spectrum analyser and all different tools and apart from the very bottom end cut it works really well.I will see if I have time to post A/B test of my bad playing so we see if it can be recognised :)

• Information