Getting AC/DC tone from the HT-40, here's my settings

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Trikke64

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I tried to get as close as possible to the "Angus sound", and here's my opinion
and settings : (played on a Gibson SG Standard).

HT-40 settings :

Channel : Clean
Pre-amp Volume : 25/100
Tone : 60/100
Reverb : 15/100
Master Volume 30/100

Effect used : Fulltone OCD 4 ( not using the effects loop, but directly into the amp's input)

Fulltone OCD settings :

Volume : 75/100
Drive : 30/100
Tone : 30/100

What are your opinions and settings to get the AC/DC sound on the HT 40?

Some of you will say :" if you want an AC/DC sound, then buy a Marshall.." OK, I already have an 1959SLP
on an 1960A cabinet, and use the Fulltone OCD on it. It gives also very good results for playing, of course...
but for recording, I wanted a sound that would need little or no EQ to get it on tape.. and the results
are a lot beter with the HT-40 than the "too big" 1959 ...

Patrick

Guitarzan

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:14 pm

I'll never understand why people want to dial in other guitarists tone. Be creative and dial in your own tone! Or else be destined to a life of playing covers!

Trikke64

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Developping a personal style and tone is very important. But from time to time imitating
well known guitar hero's sound for use at home is ... fun. And intresting as well.

As a guitar player you shouldn't only have ears for your own sound/style, but also listen attentively
to other players ... Listen, learn, develop, experiment etc ...

michael_dba

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:46 am

The cool thing about emulating the Young bros tone is that they are playing with so few effects, if any, just cranked up vintage Marshalls with humbuckers and filtertrons.

Not all of us get to blast a 200w Mrshall Major or Super Bass, so experimenting with these new lower power (and obtainable) amps is enjoyable.

It's also a good benchmark for creating your own tone, a starting point. Besides, their tone has evolved over the years.

snakesullivanfl

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Guy named Solo Dallas is an AC/DC tone freak. He actually figured out (and subsequently created a replica and sells a pedal) that in addition to the late 70s Marshall JMPs and early 70s Gibson SGs with T-top pickups, Angus also recorded using a Schaeffer Wirless system, which actually further changed the tone. See his video below (I'm not affiliated with that company at all, just a huge AC/DC fan):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LMljLcN8Vg

Here's where you can get the product:

http://solodallas.com/

I've had good results with these settings on my HT Soloist 60:

Overdrive channel:

Volume: 10
Gain 6.5
Bass: 7
Middle: 5
Treble: 5
Presence: 0
Reverb: 0
ISF: All the way to the right

You'll need to get the master volume past 3 to really hear it.

Good luck man!

Sonofarich

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:36 am

Website says his name was Ken Schaffer, not Solo Dallas. You sure you're not just spamming the website? :oops:

darthchadius

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:06 am

You should be able to get really, really close without the OCD.
Clean channel with the voice switch in the Class A position:
Volume: 2 or 3 o'clock
Tone: 2 o'clock
Reverb to taste

Master Volume:
Where it make sense for where you are playing.

If you don't have high enough output pickup (I am using a JB SH4), try a clean boost in front of the preamp. Or an OD with the level turned up and the gain down. Let the pickup and the amp do the work instead of the OD pedal. An equal pedal in the loop if you want to do more tone shaping.

snakesullivanfl

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:24 pm

Sonofarich wrote:Website says his name was Ken Schaffer, not Solo Dallas. You sure you're not just spamming the website? :oops:
I guess his company's name is Solo Dallas, I didn't know his name was Ken Schaffer. Again, I'm a life long AC/DC fan and am not affiliated with that company in any way. I actually don't even own the pedal yet as the $399 is a little steep for my current budget.

However, whether you believe or don't believe I'm "spamming" you, the fact is that after he built the first one, he actually gave it to Angus Young in person and Angus used it during the recording of Rock or Bust and now during his live performances:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/101 ... view/49471

Didn't think that offering insight on the equipment that Angus Young uses in studio on a thread discussing how to achieve Angus' tone was spam, but if it was I apologize.

dsmmrm

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Ken Shaffer is the name of the guy who made the original component that solo dallas is trying to duplicate.Just trying to clear up whatever misconceptions seem to be growing. I don't believe the op was spamming, just passing along information.

Sonofarich

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:12 am

Relax guys...just making sure I don't need to ban another spammer. This forum attracts a lot of it. This was your first post advertising something with inaccurate facts (odd video from justinguitar.com, a reputable site) and seemed suspicious. I asked instead of banning immediately.

Enjoy your stay.

• Information