What tubes for my ht20?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
ozzyjim

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi all, this weekend I'm Buying some tubes for my ht20 head, I'm needing some advice as to which brand to get? All I'm looking for is for my clean channel to break up sooner for a more
Rock and roll sound without blowing my head off. The brands available to me are sovtek, mullards, and jj tesla. I see different numbers like 12ax7 12au 7 etc and have no idea what suits my ht 20 and will break up my clean channel earlier!!Should I get the power tubes replaced while I'm at it?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

auburnshredder

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Let me know what you end up with.....I just bought an HT-20 and I really like JJ's so I may chance out the preamp tubes. Don't really want to mess with biasing, so I will probably leave the power tubes alone

toneseeker

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:46 pm

JJ's in pre and power stage are very good in this amp, they have a much nicer tone than stock tubes, even when i changed the pre to JJecc83's it made a heap of difference Image

auburnshredder

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Good to know....wondering if I do replace the power tubes with JJ's if I can get away without re-biasing

ozzyjim

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 am

Cheers for replying, i think I'll try the jj's then:-)

Auburnshredder I'm so close to trying my luck and popping in the power tubes without biasing them, others here have done it and got away with it.

Cheers
Jim

toneseeker

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:10 pm

auburnshredder wrote:Good to know....wondering if I do replace the power tubes with JJ's if I can get away without re-biasing
HI,YOU REALLY SHOULD BIAS THE POWER TUBES, WHEN SWAPPING THEM FROM ORIGINAL , ALL POWER TUBES HAVE DIFFERENT CURRENT. The preamp doesn't matter they can be changed at any time without any biasing, they alone will change the amp's tone and a good preamp may be all you need to change! ie JJ'S.ECC83'S

ozzyjim

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 am

Got my jj ecc83's today, can't wait to slot em in! Any last advice before I do it?? I decided to hold off on the power tubes for now.
Cheers
Jim

ozzyjim

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Well I put the jj's in and wowwwww definitely makes a difference, I had to keep the volume low as it's late but mannnnn the clean channel sounds so much richer, smoother and full of life!!! I don't know the exact terms I should be using but that's how it sounds to me, I'll chuck in creamy too hehe! I can't wait to really push it some more tomorrow afternoon. Definitely going to get jj powertubes now!! Definitely asvise doing this.
Cheers
Jim
Ps. My ht20 head had sovteks in it.

• Information