Which OD pedal to boost HT Club 40?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Emopunk

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:24 pm

As per title,

which OD pedal did you find to be useful to boost the HT Club 40, expecially during solos?
Is the SD-1 good enough? I see that the TS got really expensive, at least here in Italy.
I have a DS-1 but I couldn't find any good setting to use together with the amp gain channel. Maybe it's my fault so I look forward to your advices, thanks!

thephantum

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:13 am

You didn't mention where you tried the pedals, but the best place to put a boost is in the effects loop. Try the DS-1 again, but turn the drive all the way down to minimum. Then adjust the level and tone to see if you can dial something in.

Personally, I use modified Boss BD-2. Even with the drive set at minimum it adds just a little bit of additional grit. My guess is the DS-1 will do something similar...

Failing that, I would try using an EQ pedal instead. That will let you boost the frequencies which will make a solo cut through and soar over a mix.

Emopunk

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:50 am

thephantum wrote:You didn't mention where you tried the pedals, but the best place to put a boost is in the effects loop. Try the DS-1 again, but turn the drive all the way down to minimum. Then adjust the level and tone to see if you can dial something in.

Personally, I use modified Boss BD-2. Even with the drive set at minimum it adds just a little bit of additional grit. My guess is the DS-1 will do something similar...

Failing that, I would try using an EQ pedal instead. That will let you boost the frequencies which will make a solo cut through and soar over a mix.
I tried the Boss DS-1 straight into the amp. Maybe like you say I have to try it in the effects loop, and that's what I am trying to do next. So you think it's not a matter of the DS-1 being a distortion pedal, rather than an overdrive one? I thought that was the problem and that's why I was wondering if it was worth to try the SD-1 instead. Thanks!

thephantum

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:21 pm

If you are using it as a boost, the goal is not necessarily to add any more drive, but to boost the level. The trick therefore is try and get the peal as transparent as possible. Even at minimum drive though, most pedals will add just a touch of additional dirt...but that usually works well for soloing.

poisondrop

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:40 am

hello :)

i use boss bd-2 for clean boost and for boosting the drive channel as well. sometimes i leave it on because it makes rhythm more heavy and it adds crunch too!

• Information