G12T-75 plus open vs closed back on HT40

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
dsmmrm

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:40 pm

I have come to seek the wisdom of the collective.
Recently I thought I'd give a try to improving the already awesome HT40. After plugging it into a 1960a cabinet in the studio for a while I thought the stock speaker sounded weak when I went back to it. That's to be expected as a 4x12 is likely to sound bigger than a 1x12 no matter what speaker is in there. So, I thought I'd try one of the 16ohm g12t-75 speakers out of the unnameable cabinet and see how it sounded. It sounded a bit better on the clean channel but worse of the high gain so I switched it back. Now here's the thing. after I switched it back I thought I'd try a few other preamp tubes I had lying around so I left the back off and fired it up. To me the stock 70-80 sounded way better than it did before. It had a much fuller sound and, despite what I read about open back cabs, more bottom end than with the back on. Anyone else try the stock speaker with he back off? What did you think? Am I crazy?

thephantum

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:09 pm

It's totally subjective. First of all depends on the speaker and it's construction. Some will sound better in an open back cab and others in closed back cabs. I personally think open back cabs sound better. I have an HT-408 that absolutely came to life when I took the back off of it.

• Information