Speaker Swap For the HT-40?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Michelle

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:40 pm

I heard about the new Deluxe version having the new Celestion A speaker and thought Id go with that as I wanted a warm clean sound. However it is still in the box as I already get a great sound from my HT40 and so Im loathed to change it :)

rschleicher

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:18 am

Although I've only had my HT Club 40 a short while, and the Seventy 80 isn't even broken in yet, I have already started thinking about a replacement speaker. Despite the Vintage 30 being very popular, and also somewhat "sanctioned" by BS (since they put it in the "Special Edition" versions), I'm not convinced that's the right direction for me. They seem a bit too boosted in the upper midrange, to my taste, anyway. Based solely on clips and videos, the Creambacks (probably the H version) have sounded good to me, but of course aren't cheap. I've also thought about a couple of WGS speakers (the Veteran 30 is maybe a bit too much of a Vintage 30 copy, but the Retro 30 has sounded good to me), as well as a couple of the Eminence Redcoat series (Wizard, a bit more so than the Governor). It's funny, but for some reason I am wanting something "British" in overall characteristics, so I suppose I am only slightly straying from the tonal character of the stock speaker...

My biggest problem is that the various speaker comparison videos have so many other variables, and in any given comparison test, they are generally using specific settings for all speakers, as well as just one or maybe a couple of guitars, so it is entirely possible to draw opposite conclusions from two different comparison videos. For example, in comparisons that have included the Seventy 80 speaker, in some it has sounded very competitive with "the high-priced spread", whereas in other comparisons it sounds pretty bad.

In the meantime, I am keeping my eyes open for any steal deals on Creambacks.....

Evil Z06

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:41 pm

I swapped my stock speaker for a Celestion G12 H Creamback 75W....It's a smoother sound compared to the harsh sound of the stock 70/80 speaker.

LCW

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:14 am

For those that swapped speakers in their HT 40's, did you wait until the 70/80 was broken-in ?

mrtoad

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:50 am

For all you tube swappers, I tried the Tung Sols in both position. Not much better than the originals. But then I put a TAD 7025WA Highgrade in V1.
Much nicer tone. Hard to explain but even my wife noticed it. She has a very good ear for music even though she doesn't play an instrument. I guess listening to me all those years did something. I also went back to the TAD ECC83WA Selected in V2 (original one blew in 9 months but I thought I'd give it another try) I just think it's a bit less noisy than the Tung Sols. As for speakers, I have been considering a Celestion Creamback Neo. The Blackstar engineer told me it would be a good upgrade. If anyone has tried it please post your results. One last thing, I've had a number of amps in my life, mostly tube but have been playing through a SS Yamaha for the last 2 decades before buying the B-Star HT 40 MK II.
What I find is that everything thing sounds different at various volume levels. What sucks on 3 sounds great on 7. On the clean channel, try a low volume with a high Master volume or a high Volume with a lower Master volume.

Gaborwaf

Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:19 pm

So Im guessing that the speaker in the back is part of a surround sound system for the DVD player with in the car. I guess you have the front speakers and then the rear subwoofers and in the back must be the center speaker. Does anyone know if GM sells these or someone sells these separately?

• Information