Tubes and Speaker questions!

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
BSHHT

Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:04 am

Hey all!
Bought a HT60 Stage and haven't been able to use it yet.

Preamp tubes. Can someone tell me which tube is which? I would think that the first one, closer to the poweramp tubes (right), are the 2xECC83(12AX7) followed by the ECC82 (12AU7) on the left side of the back amp. Can someone please confirm that? Blackstar doesn't want to give me any info. Any suggestion on preamp tubes?? Could I use Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH. Does the EH mean anything??

And, the speakers, so I bought 2 new Celestions. Now, the wiring...I would love to hook it up the exact same way it was. Can someone, who has a stage 60 2x12, please tell me which goes where??

Thank you soooooooo much everyone!
Last edited by BSHHT on Thu May 05, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: *

KKND

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:16 am

Hello there Johnny V and welcome on board...

The pre amp tubes are ordered in the following manor: furthest from the power amp tube to closest to power amp tubes are:

V1: 12ax7 (Ecc83)

V2: 12ax7 (Ecc83)

V3: 12au7 (Ecc82) this the closest pre amp tube to the power tubes, it is a phase inverter mainly governs the clean channel.

The pre amp tubes are interchangeable, but i advise you to install 12 ax7 in V1 and V2, good brand though and a 12au7 or 12at7 in the V3 depending how u like your clean channel!

The 12AX7EH should some sort of variety of the 12AX7, low noise, extra gain, gold pinned etc etc...shouldn't make a difference.

Errr, speakers are not that tricky but i don't remember the way they r connected, if no one answers by the time i get home i will let you know!

I am not quite sure what happened to your amp Image

good luck and enjoy

cradlefish

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 pm

KKND wrote:Hello there Johnny V and welcome on board...

The pre amp tubes are ordered in the following manor: furthest from the power amp tube to closest to power amp tubes are:

V1: 12ax7 (Ecc83)

V2: 12ax7 (Ecc83)

V3: 12au7 (Ecc82) this the closest pre amp tube to the power tubes, it is a phase inverter mainly governs the clean channel.

The pre amp tubes are interchangeable, but i advise you to install 12 ax7 in V1 and V2, good brand though and a 12au7 or 12at7 in the V3 depending how u like your clean channel!

The 12AX7EH should some sort of variety of the 12AX7, low noise, extra gain, gold pinned etc etc...shouldn't make a difference.

Errr, speakers are not that tricky but i don't remember the way they r connected, if no one answers by the time i get home i will let you know!

I am not quite sure what happened to your amp Image

good luck and enjoy

I agree that you should keep a 12au7 in where it was mean't to be. If you use a 12ax7 is ok but you do loose a bit of clarity due to the extra gain for that type of tube, but you also get a bit more volume on the plus side. The 12au7 is what gives the blackstar the clarity in the notes.

BSHHT

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Ya, I ordered my amp from a US store cause Blackstar is just not available where i live and received it damaged due to shipping. So, I'm pretty much fixing the tubes.

I'm so glad I found this board! Sorry if I sound incompetent....this is the first I change tubes/speakers and Blackstar don't want to provide the schematics.

Are they marked V1, V2 and V3?

Thanks so much people!

Cheers
Last edited by BSHHT on Thu May 05, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stage60

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 am

First of all, how in the HELL did you get it in pieces? Is there no insurance? No shipper's liability? How are YOU getting screwed? Any refund/compensation? WTF?

Anyway, I have the same amp..KEEP the ECC82/12AU7 in the V3 slot. I've done much experimenting, and anything other than that in V3, (next to the power tubes), it just gets too much, (bad) distortion. Fizzy, muddy, and just kaka...

What's the deal with shipping to Canada? Can you do regular mail without export documents, etc.?? Let me know - I'll mail you a set of TAD EL34's, (came in the amp new), and fix you up with preamp tubes as well. If it's no hassle to mail via USPS, I'll help you out. I have MANY tubes, and would fix you up, no problem.

I retubed mine with Tungsol EL34B's, a JJ ECC803S in V1, and a JJ ECC83S in V2 - I'm extremely happy with this amp. I also have JJ E34L's coming, and am REAL tempted to try KT77's in that sucker! Next, I'm changing the speakers to Eminence Private Jacks!!

BSHHT

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:16 pm

[quote="stage60"]First of all, how in the HELL did you get it in pieces? Is there no insurance? No shipper's liability? How are YOU getting screwed? Any refund/compensation? WTF?

Anyway, I have the same amp..KEEP the ECC82/12AU7 in the V3 slot. I've done much experimenting, and anything other than that in V3, (next to the power tubes), it just gets too much, (bad) distortion. Fizzy, muddy, and just kaka...

What's the deal with shipping to Canada? Can you do regular mail without export documents, etc.?? Let me know - I'll mail you a set of TAD EL34's, (came in the amp new), and fix you up with preamp tubes as well. If it's no hassle to mail via USPS, I'll help you out. I have MANY tubes, and would fix you up, no problem.

I retubed mine with Tungsol EL34B's, a JJ ECC803S in V1, and a JJ ECC83S in V2 - I'm extremely happy with this amp. I also have JJ E34L's coming, and am REAL tempted to try KT77's in that sucker! Next, I'm changing the speakers to Eminence Private Jacks!!

[/quote]

Ya, I got compensated but it took a helluva fight though!

I figured out the speaker issue. Just need to make a decision on the tubes. I was thinking Electro-Harmonix in the V1 - V2 for the OD and I haven't really thought of anything in the V3 section. I don't have much choice here...I think the only tube I can bring in (12AU7) are the Groove Tubes. Whatcha think of those??
Last edited by BSHHT on Thu May 05, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

apw100

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:16 pm

I figured out the speaker issue. Just need to make a decision on the tubes. I was thinking Electro-Harmonix in the V1 - V2 for the OD and I haven't really thought of anything in the V3 section. I don't have much choice here...I think the only tube I can bring in (12AU7) are the Groove Tubes. Whatcha think of those?
You have a ton of options for tubes, TheTubeStore.com is located in Canada and has an awesome selection and great prices. Most people in here tend to go with Tung-sol or JJ tubes. I will be recording a preamp tube comparison this weekend and I will post samples and results on the forum. Maybe that will help you make a decision.
I am replacing the stock speakers with WGS Veteran 30's. These are Celestion Vintage 30 clones that have been engineered to get rid of the upper-mid spike that people complain about. I will post an A-B comparison between these as well.

What kind of music do you play? That will definitely factor into your preamp tube and speaker decisions.

BSHHT

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm

apw100 wrote:
I figured out the speaker issue. Just need to make a decision on the tubes. I was thinking Electro-Harmonix in the V1 - V2 for the OD and I haven't really thought of anything in the V3 section. I don't have much choice here...I think the only tube I can bring in (12AU7) are the Groove Tubes. Whatcha think of those?
You have a ton of options for tubes, TheTubeStore.com is located in Canada and has an awesome selection and great prices. Most people in here tend to go with Tung-sol or JJ tubes. I will be recording a preamp tube comparison this weekend and I will post samples and results on the forum. Maybe that will help you make a decision.
I am replacing the stock speakers with WGS Veteran 30's. These are Celestion Vintage 30 clones that have been engineered to get rid of the upper-mid spike that people complain about. I will post an A-B comparison between these as well.

What kind of music do you play? That will definitely factor into your preamp tube and speaker decisions.
Thanks so much for thetubestore.com!! I just ordered my tubes from them and it didn't cost me 75$ to ship! Got 2 Tung-sol 12AX7 and 1 JJ gold pin 12AU7. Pretty stoked to receive them! And, I will def check your samples too!

Cheers!

g2_mace

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:01 am

What did you think about the Tung-Sols for OD1/OD2?

Markystang

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 am

Jonny V- I don't know where in the country you live, but BlackStar IS in Canada. I've found several stores here in Southern Ontario that stock them, as well as in other provinces too. Shoot me a message if you want and I'll see if I can refer you to a store that sells them. They may be able to help you with parts and info.
-Mark

• Information