Preamp tube question

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Evil Z06

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:29 pm

Hey guys I just had my power output tubes changed to JJ Blue EL34L.I want to change my preamp tubes.Right now I still have the original Ruby 12ax7's......First off which position is the V1? What do you guys suggest I get and should I use the same tube for the V1 and Phase Inverter? Thanks.

thephantum

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:41 am

Which amp do you have? I believe only the HT100 has a PI tube. All of the other Venue series have solid state PI's.

As far as positions, when you open up the back of the amp, the 12AX7 closest to you is V1/the clean channel (i.e - the valve towards the back of the chassis). The one furthest away from you is V2/the OD channel (the one closest to the front of the chassis).

I have found the Venues respond very well to TungSol and Mullard reissues in all positions. The TungSol is a little brighter sounding than the Mullard.

Evil Z06

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:03 am

I have the HT40....Thanks for the reply...I have been looking at the Tung Sol....Mullard...Electro-Harmonix and Genalex-Gold Lion...also would you suggest the same tubes for both positions?

thephantum

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:46 am

Generally speaking yes. However, since you are looking at Genelex (and if your budget can afford it) try the Gold Lion B759/12AX7. IMHO, there is not a better sounding 12AX7 currently being manufactured. The only way to do better is to go NOS.

If you run it on the clean channel and keep it pristine, it sounds very similar to the TungSol...but it really comes to life when you knock the clean channel into overdrive/crunch. It does not respond the same way on the OD channel though...it gets pushed too hard.

At $45 USD it's not cheap though...especially when you can get two TungSols (or Mullards) for less than that.

Evil Z06

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:07 am

I basically use my clean channel for pedals which include a couple of dirt pedals so I don't know if the Gold Lion would be worth it and also when I am on the OD channel.

• Information