Another HT-60 Speaker Swap Question

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
johny2wong

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:05 am

Hi all,

I have a HT-60 Stage combo. I like the clean channel on this amp, but I can't get a good sound from OD channel. No matter how I set the EQ, gain, volume, presence, or resonance, it always sounds boxy. So, I'm planning to change both speakers on this combo. I have checked most of youtube video about celestion speaker comparison. My preference is GT12-75 < greenback < V-30 < creamback 65 < creamback 75. My favorite one is creamback 75. To my ear, creamback 75 sounds warm, mid heavy with very smooth treble. I don't check any other model because it isn't available in my country. My question are:

1. Is creamback 75 a good speaker replacement for dark sounding amp like HT-60 ??

2. If I want to change only one speaker to creamback 75. What is your suggestion for the other speaker ?? My option are GT12-75, greenback, V-30, and creamback 65.

3. In the future, I'm also planning to use this combo as a cab. Do I need to swap the speaker cable ? If yes, what is the maximum length of the speaker cable that don't degrade the sound ??

Thanks

darthchadius

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:09 pm

Have you tried different preamp tubes? If you haven't then you may want to that before changing the speakers.

#1 I cannot speak to as I have never tried that speaker.

#2 Assuming the combo still has the stock 70/80's in it. You may want try changing one speaker and having a mix to see how that sounds to you. Or just try one creamback by itself to see if you like it before dropping the cash on two of them.

#3 Not sure what you asking here. Are you referring to the wires to the speakers in the cab or the length of cable between the head and the cab. You should not need to rewire the cab.

Sonofarich

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:08 am

A Creamback mix would work, so would a V30 or greenback...personal preference. Never tried a GT12-75.

My fav would be the Creamback 65.

johny2wong

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:14 am

darthchadius wrote:Have you tried different preamp tubes? If you haven't then you may want to that before changing the speakers.

#3 Not sure what you asking here. Are you referring to the wires to the speakers in the cab or the length of cable between the head and the cab. You should not need to rewire the cab.
Apologize for my rusty english grammar. I try to make it clearer.

I want buy another amp in the future, so I'll use my HT-60 as cab only. I notice the speaker cable, the one connecting the speaker to the back of blackstar amp, is too short. I'm planning to change it to a longer one. So, I can connect my speaker to another amp. What is the maximum speaker cable length that don't degrade the sound ??

johny2wong

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:18 am

Sonofarich wrote:A Creamback mix would work, so would a V30 or greenback...personal preference. Never tried a GT12-75.

My fav would be the Creamback 65.
Does creamback mix means one creamback and one 70-80 ??

From the youtube video, I don't like the sound of single V30 or greenback. Yet, I haven't found any video that combine those speakers with creamback 75.

Sonofarich

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 am

I meant mixing a Creamback H and M.

darthchadius

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:42 pm

You may be better off installing a jack on the cab so you can use standard speaker cables to connect the head. Or two jacks if you want to be able to use it in stereo. This way you can keep the wires short in the cab. If you do make the cables a bit longer, then use the same gauge wire.

You're on the business end of the amp (the output), so some extra wire is not going to have a noticeable affect. That said, you don't want coils of wire sitting there either.

• Information