ISF - what does it do?

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Alfonse

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Does ISF run when using the clean channel? It's lumped into the Overdrive EQ. To be honest, I notice no difference whether I'm tuned all the way to one side or the other in clean or overdrive. If it has an effect, it seems minimal to me. Maybe I have damaged hearing from playing all those years.

The voice buttons seem to be more important than ISF in determining your tone. At least to me, that's the way it seems.

Is ISF mainly hype?

Al

sizzlingbadger

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:49 pm

ISF makes a big difference for me. It only works on the OD channel. It shifts the mid range curve around. The effect is more pronounced depending on the guitar / pickups and the other EQ settings. If you scoop or boost the mid EQ then ISF will generally have more effect.

pinknshreddy

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Xig5d3Mao

turn the mids lower, it does work great!

majikmojo

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:49 pm

i find the same to be true as sizzling does....not a drastic tone changer but the difference is more pronounced with certain guitars - i dont use it all that much just a set and forget knob to me...

pinknshreddy

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm

really? i find it very variable, try both extremes

Alfonse

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:09 pm

So, what I'm hearing is , to some, they also feel it's not that dramatic a tone changer to be concerned with. Others say it makes a significant change when the midrange EQ is lowered or increased. I'll definitely give it a try. I'm a little disappointed that it does nothing to the clean channel. And also that it's not a MAJOR factor in determining overall tone.

I guess I feel that way simply because Blackstar has made it such a prominent feature in their advertisements. " The thousand of tone" in between,
"Patent Applied for, etc." Since it already exists on other amps, I though Blackstar version must be really special.

I wanted it to have more of an impact. Still, I wouldn't exchange the HT-60 for anything out there for comparable money. These things are so nice, the exaggeration isn't really necessary!

Al

sizzlingbadger

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:22 pm

ISF seems quite subtle at first but once you start playing with it you soon realise that it does change the tone quite significantly. I have a Telecaster with Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups and the ISF makes quite a bit of difference. On the USA side it sounds bright and crunchy but the UK side sound sounds darker and harsher. Its far less pronounced using my Epi Dot Super which has Sky humbuckers in it. I find it changes the character of the amp in a way the normal tone controls can't, so it sounds like several different amps. As you play with the tone controls you will find sweet spots with ISF in different positions.

I also change the pre-amp tubes from the Sovtek's to Tung Sol's and this brightens and cleans up the amp nicely. I think ISF seems to work better with these tubes too as they pick out more detail but are smoother.

Superchampable

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 am

The ISF will have the most dramatic tone change when the mids are scooped. So it works great for metal. I was in the same shoes as you when I got my amp. I like my mids around 2 o'clock and didnt really under stand the hype for it. It still works when the mids are up but its not as significant. Keep in mind the ISF works in conjunction with the 3 eq. So when you adjust the treble it can still affect the tone of the ISf. Since it works in conjunction with the eq Im pretty sure the "patent applied for" is different than a countor tone knob. Not sure though never used one

majikmojo

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:19 am

makes sense super...i never scoop the mids - so i dont notice it as much....

Jono82

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:16 pm

sizzlingbadger wrote:ISF seems quite subtle at first but once you start playing with it you soon realise that it does change the tone quite significantly. I have a Telecaster with Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups and the ISF makes quite a bit of difference. On the USA side it sounds bright and crunchy but the UK side sound sounds darker and harsher. Its far less pronounced using my Epi Dot Super which has Sky humbuckers in it. I find it changes the character of the amp in a way the normal tone controls can't, so it sounds like several different amps. As you play with the tone controls you will find sweet spots with ISF in different positions.

This is my experience as well. I like the "like several different amps" comment, that's how I think of it as well. I just wish my Stage 60 had ISF for each channel but can't have everything for that price I guess.

I like to think of the Stage 60 (or other Blackstars) as sort of like many different amps in one box.. and then use either the EQ pedal in the loop, or the OD as a boost infront.. or the tone or volume knobs on my guitar.. and it feels like many different tones are possible in one package. Only it's not cheap digital tones like in a multi FX pedal, it's real tubey amp tones.. mmmm! I am used to be able to go from a Twin Reverb model, to a Rectifier to a Marshall stack etc quickly, and I can sort of mimick that with the Blackstar. Within reason.

The effect of ISF changes alot depending on how you have the b/m/t setup. All 4 knobs are very interactive with each other, and their effect changes depending on where the others are. Even the resonance and presence can have some effect. As others said, scooping the mids can make a bigger difference but I have to confess my memory is hazy because I've been so happy lately I haven't touched the settings for a while. I think it was the tone king on youtube who said he preferred the ISF to Engaters EL34/6l6 tube mix knob (which uses real tubes for both types) but I have never used an Egnater personally. Would love to try one.

I'm yet to change speakers and tubes yet, looking foward to that nice surprise in the future. I've used speaker simulator in the loop with it though, so have a fair idea that I will like very much the V30 with it. If you want an even bigger sound (depending on your styles) an O/S Port City wave 2x12 cab wV30's would sound great with it. It's like the sound of a rectifier 4x12 in a 2x12 but with better sound spread. Not a fan of 4x12s. Need to replace the speakers for the combo first though.

I have alot of things in the shopping list for the future (guitars, pickups, tremelno's, speakers, pedals) , but one thing that's stayed the same is that the amp delivers a very good tone for what I ask for. A new amp isn't on the list. Sorry to sound like a commercial, but haven't posted for a while so needed to give Blackstar some love.

• Information