Which? Effects Question.

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
smichener

Thu May 05, 2011 1:40 pm

I just traded a Line6 MKII SpiderValve for a Blackstar 60 2x12 Stage. The amp sounds great.
I need to start purchasing some effect units.
I was wondering if I should start collecting stomp boxes again or just get a multi effect unit.
I was looking at either getting a Boss Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Delay and maybe a OD pedal or a Boss multi effect unit.
I already have a Gator pedal board/tote bag, fits about 8 standard size Boss pedals, 4 on top row and 4 on bottom.
I have a Boss EQ I recently purchased used for $50.
I was looking at the Boss ME-50 or 70 for multi effects. I like the way they are layed out, simple to use.
Money is also an issue, so getting decent pedals used is about $300 to $400 at least.
Also if I did get a multi effect unit, is it better to run it thru the effect loop or straight to amp from guitar?
I play as a hobby and jam with friends, but still am looking for the best tone like the rest of us.
Any help?

majikmojo

Thu May 05, 2011 2:51 pm

you will get alot of opinions on this...

my preference is pedals - i find them more tone friendly than multi effects
i have had multi effect from digitech and behringer and found that i liked some of the effects and hated others - i also found
them difficult to program to my liking and a PITA to adjust on stage

stomp boxes for me are much easier to adjust on the fly and the tonal qualities of good ones are much more to my liking
with my stage 60 i actually dont use drive or distortion pedals much any more even though they are still on my pedalboard

i use boss chorus and delay on the clean side and the amps natural gain on the dirty side with an occasionall boost from an
OCD pedal or a boss blues driver - this amp has reduced my overall pedal usage

HotStrat

Thu May 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Pedals every time for me...
A good Chorus, Delay and EQ in the loop will pretty much do it

Barreldog

Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 pm

I just sold a Boss Me 70 and went back to pedals. The ME 70 had good sounds but the buttons were so small & close together I kept stepping on the wrong one or 2 at a time. I just bought the Gator pedal board that you have. I'm starting to get pedals now. So far I have a Boss SD -1 overdrive & a CE-5 chorus both sound great through the HT 60. I also have an MXR Phase 90 that I'm not sure about yet.

rolie

Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 am

The Boss ME-50 is probably your best bet for your needs.

Using stompboxes can become an expensive hobby. I personally prefer stompboxes because they sound better.

If you do go stompboxes, I'd recommend checking out slidemeister http://myworld.ebay.com/slidemeister1 he sells pedals that are really cheap but made heavy duty and have true bypass. Guitarfetish.com has some pedals that are pretty cheap but look sturdy enough and have true bypass. I haven't bought any from there yet but I soon will.

auburnshredder

Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 pm

I have owned several Digitech multi-effect processors, they work well and are decent for recording, but I went back to on old school Boss board. I have been really happy with the set up. No programming or tweaking with parameters, just stomp and go!!

I have seen a number of threads where the delay unit works well isloated through the effects loop. Haven't tried it myself.

OGRI

Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Here's my two pennies worth of opinion, I have both pedals and one of the most hot-rodded multi-effects set-ups around and honestly it has to be pedals in most situations. Here's why, firstly no matter how good the tones on your multi-effects board as soon as you record it the result will sound digital and when you play live that is what your audience will hear - whether or not they will actually realise is another matter. Secondly, the amp you bought has three glorious channels and each of these has two great voices and altogether our Blackstar amps are full to the brim of awesome tones which can be enhanced with the right pedals, delays, chorus, wah, overdrive boosts, flangers etc, so if you use the multieffects route you are really consigning yourself to using just the clean channel to get the most out of your effects unit (to avoid colorisation and other multieffects conflicts) as opposed to using pedals and all the available channels and voices enabling you to get the most out of your amp. That's my opinion, others will advise differently.

By the way, I used to go down the multi-effects into valve amp route (Laney VC30 212) as a rhythm guitarist in a rock band and it sounded great and I always got great compliments on my tone but I only ever used the clean channel on the amp. The Laney is a great amp but the Blackstar HT Venue range is a major leap forwards in terms of tones and versatility and yet it is still in the same price range.

Regardless of what I say, the best advice is always to use your ears.

osmark

Sat May 14, 2011 4:03 pm

I have a pod XT pro, but for many reasons I have building a pedal board for the last year.

Reasons:

1) I prefer the sound of a real pedal
2) I prefer the feel of a real pedal
3) I prefer the versatility of being able to physically re-order my chain
4) When switching between effects, real pedals seem faster/smoother in transition
5) If a pedal fails I'm not totally hooped

KKND

Sat May 14, 2011 6:23 pm

A lot of I's and lists on this thread..... :lol:

You wont need more than a delay and chorus to get the best outta your stage 60.

Go ahead with the Boss pedals you listed and welcome on board.

Thanks

mantermite

Sun May 15, 2011 3:16 am

KKND wrote:A lot of I's and lists on this thread..... :lol:

You wont need more than a delay and chorus to get the best outta your stage 60.

Go ahead with the Boss pedals you listed and welcome on board.

Thanks
I'm going with KKND here on this one. When the amp sounds great you only really need slight embellishments I'm finding. I probably didn't need to get an overdrive pedal (I got the Stage 60 also, used to be a Line 6 X3 Live person) but I was on stage 5 days after buying it so needed settings quick.... Now that I've tested the amp I might get a delay for leads and then um and aaahhhh for something that suits the covers.

But right now, awesome tone and 3 channels has got me in heaven.

• Information