HT-40 Bias Information

Discussion - HT Venue amplifiers. Inspiration from Studio to Stage.
Biased

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:59 am

Markystang wrote:How different would this be for an HT-20?
Hey guys - First post! Warning...Don't do, or listen to anything I say.

The 40 looks to be "Fixed bias" which applies a fixed amount of negative voltage via PR2 (not as in "fixed" that you can't change) and the balance PR1 allows you to get the bias closer to the same on each tube in the event they aren't "matched" very well. Some old Fenders and others used to only have a balance control and instead of the adjustable pot for bias just made the value such that it was so cold "everything" worked.

The 20 is cathode biased, which is, and isn't adjustable, depending on your ability and knowledge :) . It will autobias itself to a point that's determined by a cathode resistor, which is usually chosen to bias a wide range of "average" spec tube. Technically you should check to make sure your new tube is working within the accepted range, but by reading numerous posts, you know most people don't. So adjusting the biasing ability of the "self bias" is only accomplished by replacing the cathode resistor in this case.

As far as the voltage not being adjustable, that's usually true. Some amps employ "power scaling" which will scale down the voltage to the amp to basically make it lower volume (and implemented differently for cathode of fixed bias). To a small point, the amount of bias will very slightly change the voltage at the tube because it is controlling how much the tube can draw. Keep in mind just going to a different town or location will vary the wall voltage going the amp, which WILL change your plate voltage. If it's major city at high draw and they're slammin' 125 volts that's going to make a difference compared to the far reaches might hit 115. This actually has killed filter caps in old amps, which were all based on about 110 wall voltage and when they get hit with modern 120+ it caused the amp to exceed the voltage rating of the caps.

Wow...sorry...that was kind of long. One last tidbit. Everybody gets hung up on "Must set an EL34 to xx ma bias". I think the more important thing is that you want to make sure you stay under the dissipation wattage rating of the tube (which is usually given as rating of 70% or less of rated dissipation in class AB amps, and can actually slighty exceed max in a true class A).

Hopefully in the next day or two I can get a couple of pics up of a little test I'm going to do on my HT 20 head with three different tubes to show how the cathode bias reacts to different tube (I'll show plate voltage, ma readings and calculated dissipation).

Markystang

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 am

Apparently according to Blackstar the HT20 uses a combination of cathode and fixed bias. See this thread....

http://blackstaramps.forumotion.com/t14 ... sing-fight

This being the case, I'm wondering how different biasing would be from the other amps in the HT line?
I've changed power tubes in mine without checking or adjusting bias, and it sounds fine, but now I'm thinking maybe I should give it a look.

Biased: I really look forward to seeing what you come up with. Thanks!

Biased

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Marky -
They seem to make it difficult, don't they? Here's the EXACT line from the HT-20 Manual:

The carefully voiced preamp and
cathode biased dual EL34 power amp configuration provides the user with the ability
to create wonderfully lush valve tones.

In either case, by measuring a specific voltage across the R221 resistor, it sounds like you would still have to change a component (resistor) on the board to actually change the bias setting (Instead of adjusting a bias pot PR on the fixed bias 40). I need to open mine up again and see about the balance adjustment though.

Sometime today I'll get a seperate post up about what 3 sets of tubes (stock TAD, Sventlana and JJ) looked like in my 20 and compare plate voltage, ma, and dissipation in each pair. They were all well under a "hot" bias.

Thanks for the link!

Hedgehog

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:52 pm

AFAIK, the HT20 does need the bias setting up even though it is partly cathode biased. I haven't had mine apart yet, but I believe there are two trim pots the same as in the 40 (one for bias, one for balance), and you need to set the voltage across resistor R221 to 11.5V, then set the balance for minimum hum. As I said, I haven't done this yet myself, it's only what I've read, so please check before taking it as true.

Rob

Biased

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:20 pm

You're right Rob, let me just open mine up and look - see if we can "handle the truth" :lol:

Ron

Biased

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:22 pm

DISCLAIMER>>>>This is my personal amp - Information only...Never do anything I say to your own amp or void the warranty!!!!

I.WAS.WRONG - Thanks Rob for making me verify instead of trusting marketing dept. documentation...

There is most definately a balance and bias adjustment pot on my HT20:

Sorry for steamrolling this thread - As I mentioned, I'll start a new one with all the particulars from my tube antics on the HT20

Ron

IM4Tone

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Biased wrote: Sorry for steamrolling this thread - As I mentioned, I'll start a new one with all the particulars from my tube antics on the HT20

Ron
Don't be sorry.....very informative and On Topic Image

Biased

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:54 pm

If you guys are interested, here's the post about the different tubes in my HT-20....

http://blackstaramps.forumotion.com/t18 ... sion#11664

Ron

Hedgehog

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Cool - thanks for posting that picture. Just shows you CAN believe some things you read on the web then :D

Chrontum

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:24 pm

sizzlingbadger wrote:They were both stamped gm 32. The mV bias reading changed from 51 to 54 when they were swapped. No change was required to biasing however I changed the bias to 60mV to warm them up a bit.
I'm about to order a new set of power tubes from thetubestore and was hoping to use the same perfect pair number as you so that I won't have to re-bias, but when I asked for a gm 32 pair, they said that they didn't use the term gm, but they did have a perfect pair number of 32. I just wanted to confirm if your Winged "C" (SED) EL34 tubes were the perfect pair number 32, and if gm was a mistake. Thanks.

• Information