Headphones not working properly

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
FXBDM

Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Good Morning forum.

I recently bought a used HT1R MKII. The Headphone out has a quirk that prevents me from enjoying it completely and I am wondering if this is normal, or if it is a problem with the amp.

When I plug in my headphones (tried it with GRado SR60s and with AKG 240s), I struggle to get any volume on the clean channel with anything less than 5 gain and 10 volume. I hear the strings clicking over the sound in the headphones.

If I try to boost the gain a bit more, I do get a good volume and good tone, but if I hit the strings too hard, I will get a clicking noise in the headphones, and some sound will actually come out of the speaker (which is sub-optimal when playing at night while the children are sleeping).

I initially thought this was a problem with my old Grados somehow shorting, but I bought a brand new pair of AKGs and got exactly the same behaviour.

If it helps, my guitar is an Epi LP.

Is this normal performance for those amps, or is there a hardware issue?

FXBDM

Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm

I have taken this amp to the local service center. They were startled to hear about my problem, but when they checked the HT1R MKII they had in stock, they found the same symptoms.

So it would appear that the clean channel is not usable over headphones at high gains. It seems like a weird design decision considering this is marketed as a practice amp.

I will probably be selling this product and buying from another brand.

Haibara23

Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:58 am

Examine the connection between the jack and the headphones. If required, clean the connector with a cotton swab dipped in some rubbing alcohol or compressed air.
DMV Practice Test
Last edited by Haibara23 on Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

hollyherring

Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:18 am

FXBDM wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:27 pm
Good Morning forum.

I recently bought a used HT1R MKII. The Headphone out has a quirk that prevents me from enjoying it completely and I am wondering if this is normal, or if it is a problem with the amp.

When I plug in my headphones (tried it with GRado SR60s and with AKG 240s), I struggle to get any volume on the clean channel with anything less than 5 gain and 10 volume. I hear the strings clicking over the sound in the headphones.

If I try to boost the gain a bit more, I do get a good volume and good tone, but if I hit the strings too hard, I will get a clicking noise in the headphones drift boss, and some sound will actually come out of the speaker (which is sub-optimal when playing at night while the children are sleeping).

I initially thought this was a problem with my old Grados somehow shorting, but I bought a brand new pair of AKGs and got exactly the same behaviour.

If it helps, my guitar is an Epi LP.

Is this normal performance for those amps, or is there a hardware issue?
It sounds like there may be an issue with your HT1R MKII's headphone out. You should be able to get good volume and tone without having to boost the gain excessively. The clicking noise you're hearing when you hit the strings too hard is likely due to the amp's limiter kicking in, which is designed to protect the headphones from being damaged by sudden spikes in volume.
However, if you're still getting sound coming out of the speaker when you're using headphones, that's definitely not normal and could be a hardware issue. It's possible that there's a problem with the headphone jack or the internal wiring.

partnerjog

Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:08 am

I struggle to obtain any volume on the clean channel with anything less than 5 gain and 10 volume when I put in my headphones (tested it with GRado SR60s and AKG 240s). The strings clack over the music on my headphones. doodle cricket

• Information