HT-1R picking up russian radio

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
graf

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:23 pm

I've discovered a weird problem with my HT-1R. I plugged it into my laptop using an iRig adapter and the emulated out on the amp. I noticed some weird background noise, and it turned out to be russian radio. It even happened with the amp turned off, but if I unplugged the lead from the amp the sound stopped. Is this normal or have I got a bad tube or something?

I recorded some of it, just to prove I'm not going mad :-

soundcloud.com/grafster/foundsound

majikmojo

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 pm

damn aliens again........

something is acting like receiver and the amp is the speaker so when you drop the lead from the amp it stops - i would guess something in the
laptop is the receiver

or....you need to share some of that shit :lol:

could be the cable is the antenna and is picking up rf signals form someplace - is there a transmitter near your house

it never happened to me but i have heard of this before...

LonePhantom

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:16 am

Must be due to the SovTek 12AX7 that is used for the preamp, that explains the Russian radio! :lol:

M3NTA7

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:03 pm

LonePhantom wrote:Must be due to the SovTek 12AX7 that is used for the preamp, that explains the Russian radio! :lol:
LOL - that's exactly what I was thinking.

It sounds like there might be some capacitance in your cables/wiring or something possibly. I'm not sure though.

Crunchifyable

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:57 am

well, you know the R in the name is for Russian. Image

Jokes aside, I'm guessing the problem is with iRig or just a odd cable. Guitars can pick up just about anything (broadcast radio, police radio, etc.), and adding effects or an iRig just means more chance of interference. You'll just have to keep playing with things (location / orientation of power and wires) until you lose the Russian radio, and I don't know, start picking up news and sports or something.

Reminds me of that Spinal Tap scene.

• Information