OD pedal for HT-1

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
OU812

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

Anyone use any OD pedals with their combo's or heads? and if so which ones and how do you like them? Also, any recommendations would be great.

JSteele

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:27 pm

I've got two pedals, a Boss DS1 and a MXR '78 custom badass and I prefer the sound of the amp with no pedals than with either of these hooked up. Maybe it's the pedals, I know they are not "boutique" pedals, but they sound better through my old Peavey studio pro 40 than the HT1. I haven't changed the tubes in the HT1 yet, and plan on doing so, but when I try to run a pedal through it, I get a lot of noise and hum, so much I have to turn down the pedals output and distortion so much that the amp sounds better without them. I will add that playing them through the clean channel helps, but I lose a lot of volume that way. I am adding that after going back and trying my MXR '78 Dist. pedal to the dirty channel with the Distortion knob turned down to zero, the tone at 1o'clock and the output at 2 o'clock, this pedal increases the sustain and brightens up the crunch a bunch. Actually, I saw this suggestion on another thread and I really like this. But if I turn up the distortion on the pedal, It is WAY too much for this little 8" speaker I have the amps overdrive at 12 o'clock and the Volume at about 9 o'clock. Sounds Pretty Good.

trew

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Make sure the OD on the amp is OFF. If you leave it on and try to use a OD pedal...the noise will make you crazy.
I use 3 different OD's, depending on the sound I'm going for. All are used with the amps OD button off and the gain at about 10-11 o'clock. I use a MXR Classic OD, a GFS Blusesdrive and VHT V-Drive. The HT-1 handles these very well.
Also I run the amp into a 1x12 16 ohm cab--it makes a big difference.

Classicplayer

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:03 pm

I haven't used either of my OD/Distortion pedals with my HT1R combo. The amp sounds good on its' own. I've been using the gain channel for both my clean and gain sounds. I noticed that the highs disappear a bit once the amp is warmed up. I use a Danelectro Fish N' Chips e.q.pedal to put some highs back in without changing too much of the amp''s tone. I might experiment with my Boss DS 1 and a Boss Power Stack Pedal, but for now
This amp sounds pretty good on its' own.

Classicplayer

BLACKJAC

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:05 am

Today I was playing my Highway One Telecaster with my HT-1. I used an Electro Harmonix East River Drive which worked out just great. This is a perfect bedroom amp when used with the gear I just posted. I have not tried out my TS808 or a Bad Monkey on it yet. i like all three of these overdrives. There are other good ones out there as well. For the original OP I would suggest the ERD.

calnyc

Wed May 21, 2014 4:37 pm

I have a TS9 and a couple of Klones. The Klones sound fantastic on this amp, especially if you turn the amp's gain all the way up on the clean channel and the pedal's gain below 12:00.

BLACKJAC

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:57 am

Those Klones I feel sound better than the original KC! That one is on the wish list.

• Information