HT1 - R volume problems

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
gary1035

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm

hi all - my first post!
My HT1r is my first valve amp. Although i have had it for almost a year i have only just started to use it a lot. It has started to have sudden and dramatic volume increases (happens on both channels and used normally or thru the emulated output.)

I have contacted Andertons who tell me;

"Sorry to hear that your amp is faulty. It sounds as if there is a valve problem as volume dips are usually a characteristic of power valves that are on their last legs. Unfortunately the valves are only covered for 3 months under warranty so it might be worth replacing the power valve to see if this resolves the issue."

I have emailed them again to say its not a volume dip - its an increase (not sure of this is relevant)
Also the amp states on the back - 'no user serviceable parts inside'

I believe the power valve is something called an ecc82?

Any advice gratefully received

gary1035

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Well after being without an amp for almost 2 weeks i got it back today from Blackstar and was eager to turn it on. After 15 minutes it has the same fault.

Turned it off and left it for 30 minutes then tried again - fault occurred again after 9 minutes (i'm that sad i actually timed it!)

The paperwork says 'Long test NFF' presumably 'No Fault Found'

Also the box it left here in was pristine - the one it was returned in looks like it has been kicked around their warehouse - not really an issue unless i ever want to sell it I guess.

Andertons were helpful and tried to ring them but there was no answer (it had just turned 5).

I shall continue to wait...

Uffingdon

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 am

Sorry to hear about the problem with your HT1. I think you should consider changing the tubes as they really don't cost that much. As those items are out of warrenty I don't think Blackstar/Andertons will pick up the cost anyway.

I know what you mean about the box business though, I recently had my HT5 repaired under warrenty by Blackstar via Andertons and could not believe the state of it on it's return thinking that they had sent the amp back in the wrong one. But on checking the serial # on the box sure enough it was mine!

My HT5 works fine now, hope it lasts this time as I don't think the box would survive another trip to Northhampton. :shock:

gary1035

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the response - i spoke with a very helpful guy at blackstar on friday and its going back to them early next week. I was going to change the power tube but i was told that if I change a tube myself i invalidate the warranty (and there are 2 years left on it). I've actually managed to record it happening now but the upload attachment feature doesn't allow mp3s.

gary1035

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:41 pm

So it went back to blackstar again and once more it wouldn't misbehave while they had it!
However they replaced the pcb and valves anyway and its working with no issues at the moment (i guess its pretty much a new amp in the old box!)

They turned it around for me in 2 days and Lee was particularly helpful.

I hope they don't think i was imagining it - i recorded it happening twice but can't upload here.

Just really curious to know what the problem was.

Thanks Blackstar - great service!

• Information