HT-1R no sound until gain is maxed

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
rince

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:54 am

Hi,
I just bought a HT-1R yesterday. Once I had it all setup, I did not get any sound out of the clean channel, no matter if I used the speaker or headphones. Switching to the overdrive channel gave me the same. Than I realized, that I can get sound when I turn up the gain. The gain almost works like a volume switch in the overdrive channel. If I switch back to the clean channel, I can get some sound if I turn the volume and the gain to max, but the volume is very low. Volume in overdrive is better when I max out both (volume + gain).
Anyone has a clue what might be the issue here? Or am I just to stupid to use it?

Thanks
Dennis

Classicplayer

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Sounds to me that it might be due to faulty gain and volume pots. I've been told by my tech that the pots are not the best quality. I just had both gain and vol. replaced by him. Blackstar wrote to me and indicated the following values for both pots; should you decide to replace them. I don't have any problem now with the new replacements. I have had my HT1R for over a year and a half. Hope this helps.

"The gain pot is a G220K and the Volume is a B10K"

Classicplayer

rince

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:50 am

Thank you for your answer. I guess if this is the case there is nothing I am willing to do to this new amp at the moment. I would expect it to work correctly at least once before I start modding it ;)
I will have to send it back today.
Classicplayer wrote:Sounds to me that it might be due to faulty gain and volume pots. I've been told by my tech that the pots are not the best quality. I just had both gain and vol. replaced by him. Blackstar wrote to me and indicated the following values for both pots; should you decide to replace them. I don't have any problem now with the new replacements. I have had my HT1R for over a year and a half. Hope this helps.

"The gain pot is a G220K and the Volume is a B10K"

Classicplayer

Classicplayer

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:21 pm

If it is possible, I'd take the amp back for a replacement. As a new amp it should not have even one thing wrong with it! If you bought it at a local shop, I sit down and try one out before buying.

Classicplayer

Classicplayer

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Just a follow up note to you. I bought my HT1R online and it was a re-stocked or 2nd. I bought it over a year and 6 months ago and it performed very well. I have swapped tubes and put a Celestion Eight 15 speaker in place of the original. Abouth the same time, the volume pot started getting scratchy and that's when my repair person put in the new gain and volume pots. I like the sound of this amp on both channels, but the one you bought new should also sound pretty good with the stock tubes and speaker. I just did not care for the original Blackbird speaker as it sort of "splattered" the highs......the Celestion to me, sounds better. Hope all of this is of some help to you.

Classicplayer

rince

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:47 am

Thank you again! I meanwhile sent the amp back to be repaired/exchanged. We will see how this goes. Thanks a lot for all the great advice you gave me in this thread and I will definitely think about changing the pots and look into a different speaker at some point.
Classicplayer wrote:Just a follow up note to you. I bought my HT1R online and it was a re-stocked or 2nd. I bought it over a year and 6 months ago and it performed very well. I have swapped tubes and put a Celestion Eight 15 speaker in place of the original. Abouth the same time, the volume pot started getting scratchy and that's when my repair person put in the new gain and volume pots. I like the sound of this amp on both channels, but the one you bought new should also sound pretty good with the stock tubes and speaker. I just did not care for the original Blackbird speaker as it sort of "splattered" the highs......the Celestion to me, sounds better. Hope all of this is of some help to you.

Classicplayer

• Information