HT1: is it a "hybrid" or a real "all-tube" amp?

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
rmx

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 am

Hi,

I heard that the HT1 is not a real "all-tube" amp as for example a VOX AC15. There are rumours that it has a solid-state help.
I would like to know where is the solid-state situated in the amplification chain. If the solid-state is in the preamp with a tube power section or vice versa.
I would like to know as well if the amplification of the mp3/input passes through both tubes, or even none at all.
I guess that there is a lot of misunderstanding about this things out there, that is why I want to clarify.
Please answer back if you know what you are saying and please do not reply with "It sounds good, who cares" that it is definitely my point.

Thanks

Sonofarich

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Depends on your definition of 'all tube' vs 'hybrid'. For purists, any solid state component in the amplification path would render it 'hybrid' to them, even if it employs a tube preamp and power section. If this definition is taken MANY amps considered all tube (i.e JCM900) and those with solid state rectifiers (clipping diodes) would be considered hybrid. Others believe if it has a tube preamp and power section, it is in their eyes a real tube amp. I believe the latter and those amps with either a tube preamp/SS power or SS preamp/tube power to be hybrids.

If you're shopping for a title, be prepared to shell out much more money or go used/vintage. You'll have to buy a point to point, handwired, eyelet/turrret board and no SS components to qualify for purists all tube title. Also...there is no absolute consensus. The reason people tell you to buy with your ears is because everything else is just posturing.

BTW...I believe the Vox AC15C1 has a SS rectifier. By the first definition, that would mean it's a hybrid. I don't think the consensus would consider it to be a hybrid amp. That would probably go to their ADVT(x) line.

rmx

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:09 am

Thank you for your answer and I agree with you.
I should have mentioned that for me is enough to be considered "all-tube" if no SS is evolved in the pre amp or amp stage (I don't care about rectifiers) and if the clipping of the electrical wave is not done with SS (the most important).
The reason why I am interested is just for understanding how the amp works, the possibilities of applications and for modding it. Not to start a flame war about "all-tube-hypes".
For example, HT1 does not have an fx circuit. I wonder if I connect a vox tonelab to the mp3/input, it would still benefit from the tube of the power section or it would be amplified by a SS stage.
I hope I made myself clear this time.
Thank you.

Stiggie_9

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:42 pm

The HT-1's output stage uses an ECC82 valve. The MP3 input signal will be buffered before it gets to the valve, though, and this buffer stage will almost certainly be solid state.

After all's said and done, if the amp sounds good to you and if its dynamics and touch sensitivity give you that 'Oooh!' feeling, then as far as I'm concerned it really, really doesn't matter if there are solid state components in there. There are more important things in life, I reckon.

rmx

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Thank you Stiggie for your answer.
Yes I agree that it doesn't matter much. Unless it influences the decision about buying or not buying the vox tonelab that you cannot test forehand. I plan to connect the tonelab to the mp3 input and wonder if it will still benefit from some tube "warmness" and dynamics from the HT1.
:)
I am not a tube snob. I am quite happy with the relative to its size amount of dynamics of the HT1 semi crancked when I connect the guitar to the input. However, I am not sure if it will sound "warm", "live" and "dynamic responsive" with a pre-amp modeller direct connected to its mp3 or it will sound like any SS amp that I know.

Sonofarich

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Why not connect the Tonelab to the input?

rmx

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:10 pm

Well...

Can anyone who knows please answer this question:
"Ignoring the rectifier, does the HT1 have SS responsible for the pre-amp or the amp stage?"

Thanks in advance!

mavrim

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:35 am

I have a Marshall Artist 4203 that has a solid state pre-amp with one 12ax7 and output tubes. The HT1R is similar with solid state components. I build low wattage tube amps that are handwired point to point. I consider a solid state rectifier in a tube amp to still be all tube. Marshalls use tube rectifiers and solid state rectifiers. Sag is usually the main reason people prefer tube recifiers.

I did see a schematic for an HT5 pre-amp circuit, so I would assume that the HT1 would be similar.

mavrim

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am

My low wattage all tube amps sound incredible with full gain, but has no headroom to play clean. I have to admit that this amp has the headroom to play crystal clean with enough volume. I keep telling myself that this is not all tube, but it sounds too good to not want to play through it. Just swap in a celestion eight 15 speaker and you will notice a volume increase with clarity!

• Information