Tube change HT-1r

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
CatCave

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:46 am

I have recently bought this amp and so far i am amazed. Some of my guitars have now been resurrected
from their poor existance in some dark scrub.
What i really like is the more clean settings and on to my q which is:
Would a tube change turn this little monster into a more classic rock machine?
If so, what tubes should i be looking for.
Cheers!

sjj

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi CatCave

I've got an HT1RH with HT112 cab.

I quickly swopped the preamp valve, (was a Sovtek) for a standard Tungsol 12ax7, it made quite a difference to my ears, more clean headroom, a better 'crunch' tone and a much more defined high gain tone all at 'bedroom' volumes, well worth it for £14 or so.

I've also recently swopped the power valve, (was Electro Harmonix) for an old Mullard from ebay, the difference isn't as obvious as the Tungsol change but it has added more complexity and character, you can get a reasonable low gain sound on the overdrive channel now.

I'd also consider a speaker change, I changed the standard Blackstar 'Blackbird' for a Celestion G12 Type V and the whole rig is now punching way above its weight. Don't know what size speaker is in the combo but a decent, named replacement would be worth considering. Take some time to 'run in' if you do change the speaker though.

sjj

CatCave

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Thank you!
I will try the Tungsol valve and a Weber blue something speaker, 8 inch, is on the way.

Sonofarich

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 am

If you are looking to lower the gain, you might want to try a 12AY7 or 5751 in place of the 12AX7. Search the forum for details.

sjj

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:51 pm

CatCave wrote:Thank you!
I will try the Tungsol valve and a Weber blue something speaker, 8 inch, is on the way.

Let me know how it goes

sjj

• Information