HT1R Combo Speaker Leads

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
Classicplayer

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Does it make a difference with this amp as to which speaker terminal the red lead shold go to? I've been
losing the substantial treble on this amp and I wonder when I swapped the stock speaker out and than back in whether I made a mistake with the speaker leads.

Classicplayer

hotrabbitsoup

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:58 pm

no difference on this or any speaker. it only matters when you are wiring up multiple speakers. take for instance two speakers, wired differently from one another. when the speaker cone moves forward on one, it will move backwards on the other, and vice versa. this is called "out of phase," and will destroy the tone - unless you are going for an out of phase sound - but that would be silly.

it matters for bands with multiples of the same instruments (typically only guitars), all the speakers, in all the amps, should be in phase with one another or you will suck.

mavrim

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:22 am

Could be a bad tube? One of my amp builds had an ecc82 (12AU7) that was not as loud as all the others had been. Swapped it with another tube and volume increased.

Classicplayer

Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:27 am

I appreciate the responses. I did eventually figure out my situation. This little 1-watt should be played at a little bit louder level to find the best tone. I've regained the "missing treble" and it was there all along. I have the stock Blackbired speaker back in place and the two tubes are both Tung-Sol brand. Both the clean and gain channels are sounding quite god right now.

Classicplayer

mavrim

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:02 am

I found that a tung-sol ecc82/12au7 was not as good as a jj ecc82 in my own low wattage amps. I found that a tung-sol 12ax7 with jj eec82 output tube sounds the best. JJ tubes glow brighter than the tung-sol tubes.

• Information