Recording with emulated out (HT1R)

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
Celebelena

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:34 am

I have a Blackstar HT1R and would like to use the emulated out for recording? I've never tried recording from the HT1R before or any other recording for that matter.

Will I need to go through a DI box before going into the recording interface or will the emulated out go straight into the recording interface?

Is the emulated out high or low impedance? Line level? Balanced/Unbalanced?

Forgive me if I know little about these terms, really I just need to know how to use the emulated out for recording without blowing up my amp, lol.

thephantum

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:32 pm

It's pretty easy. You don't need a DI box and it's line level, so you don't need a preamp. Just connect the Emulated Out (EO) to your interface and start dropping tracks. The reverb in the EO is in stereo so ideally you want a splitter that's a 1/4" stereo jack to two mono 1/4" jacks like this.

Put the stereo side into the EO on the amp and plug the other two into your interface. If you don't care about the stereo reverb, you can also use a mono cable. In that case any guitar cable will do. If all your interface inputs have preamps, make sure to set them to line level.

If you want to record silently, just put the amp in standby. That will mute the speaker, but the EO will still work.

• Information