Guitar Center exclusive HT1 combo

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
ATS

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Musicians Friend had these on sale the other day for $99 , whats the difference between these and the one everyone else offers?. There is not a single picture on the web of the top controls or the back. just a front view. Anyone know?

thephantum

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Are you sure it wasn't just one of those "flash deals"? I can't find any reference to a Guitar Center (or Musicians Friend) Exclusive version of the HT1.

nobikiniatoll

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:40 pm

ATS wrote:Musicians Friend had these on sale the other day for $99 , whats the difference between these and the one everyone else offers?. There is not a single picture on the web of the top controls or the back. just a front view. Anyone know?
thephantum wrote:Are you sure it wasn't just one of those "flash deals"? I can't find any reference to a Guitar Center (or Musicians Friend) Exclusive version of the HT1.
Greetings!

A month ago, GC posted this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mtA5JhHbZI of their "Exclusive" HT-1. The only diff I can spot from the "regular" model is black plastic knobs instead of the standard chrome. I read somewhere they were selling for $150-$200. They're not (or no longer) on the GC website, never saw a model #, maybe sold out?

The $100 Musician's Friend HT-1 appears to be yet another version, model# HT-1GC, surely indicating a special run for GC/MF. The only photo I've seen (same as you) is a front view showing cheaper grille cosmetics (plain black cloth, no metallic piping). No way to know if they've also skimped on knobs, tubes, speaker, cabinet, etc.
Screen shot 2014-11-29 at 11.13.48 AM.jpg
Blackstar HT-1 (standard version)
Screen shot 2014-11-29 at 11.13.48 AM.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 28259 times
Screen shot 2014-11-28 at 1.10.42 PM.jpg
Musician's Friend HT-1GC ($100 version)
Screen shot 2014-11-28 at 1.10.42 PM.jpg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 28259 times
I may have purchased the last one in stock Thursday (Thanksgiving) morning. Had it in "shopping cart" on the MF website AND their fleaBay BIN listing open in my browser (same $99.99/free shipping price) but BOTH disappeared at the same moment (out of stock/auction ended) while I was dithering. Not my first snooze-you-lose lesson, alas. But I checked back and an auction "re-list" appeared a couple hours later and I snagged it. The MF auction listing and website has said "no longer available" ever since. It might pay off to contact them to see if they expect to receive any more.

Seemed worth the gamble to me, since it's for my young son. (Q: "Do you want an acoustic or electric guitar?" A: "A red one!") If I have to listen to a 6 year-old play a 3/4 size Squire Strat though a cheap practice amp, this should be more than perfect and maybe keep him away from my Swart for the time being.

I'll post an update after it arrives next week.
IMG_5313.jpg
And so it begins... ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
IMG_5313.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 28259 times

ATS

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:05 am

Cool he should love it!, I ordered mine on Wednesday when it first was posted, shipped out same day i should have it Mon or Tues. I didn't want my ID:60 to be a only child. :) I'll post my findings too.

BLACKJAC

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:07 am

I know GC is selling the HT-1 right now for $199 plus tax. That is a sweet deal for a bitchen amp, anyway you slice it. I've been a fan since I saw the Anderton demo. That same day I hunted one down from Sam Ash. They had one on display that I played and, I took home one left in the box. The GC by my house now carries them. If I had the room and the money to spare, I would grab another one right away.

ATS

Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Got mine in yesterday. The differences other than the grill cloth are, blackstar 15 speaker ,instead of blackbird 15, Ruby brand tubes, No emulated speaker out , no Aux input. Plastic knobs instead of chrome. Still a great amp for $99 but i would not pay a penny more for such a stripped down version of what is already a stripped down HT5.

nobikiniatoll

Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 pm

ATS wrote:Got mine in yesterday. The differences other than the grill cloth are, blackstar 15 speaker ,instead of blackbird 15, Ruby brand tubes, No emulated speaker out , no Aux input. Plastic knobs instead of chrome. Still a great amp for $99 but i would not pay a penny more for such a stripped down version of what is already a stripped down HT5.
That's a bit disappointing. (Mine arrives tomorrow.) The specs for the HT-1GC on both the Musician's Friend & Guitar Center websites clearly state: 8 Ohm speaker output / Aux. input / Speaker-emulated line out.

I generally adhere to "you get what you pay for" thinking, but wonder what on earth Blackstar is thinking by being complicit in an arrangement like this ... producing a stripped down version of one of their highy-regarded products and entrusting to someone (MF/GC) who has marketed it deceptively?

Have you thought to complain? Does anyone from Blackstar monitor these forums?

Thanks for your post.

ATS

Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 pm

nobikiniatoll wrote:
ATS wrote:Got mine in yesterday. The differences other than the grill cloth are, blackstar 15 speaker ,instead of blackbird 15, Ruby brand tubes, No emulated speaker out , no Aux input. Plastic knobs instead of chrome. Still a great amp for $99 but i would not pay a penny more for such a stripped down version of what is already a stripped down HT5.
That's a bit disappointing. (Mine arrives tomorrow.) The specs for the HT-1GC on both the Musician's Friend & Guitar Center websites clearly state: 8 Ohm speaker output / Aux. input / Speaker-emulated line out.

I generally adhere to "you get what you pay for" thinking, but wonder what on earth Blackstar is thinking by being complicit in an arrangement like this ... producing a stripped down version of one of their highy-regarded products and entrusting to someone (MF/GC) who has marketed it deceptively?

Have you thought to complain? Does anyone from Blackstar monitor these forums?

Thanks for your post.
I called Musicians Friend right away and they apologized and offered to pay return shipping and offer me a discount on something else. After i got done steaming about it , i knew i had a little while to decide so i plugged it in its a nice sounding lil amp. For the $99 I'm gonna keep it.

nobikiniatoll

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:37 pm

ATS wrote:I called Musicians Friend right away and they apologized and offered to pay return shipping and offer me a discount on something else. After i got done steaming about it , i knew i had a little while to decide so i plugged it in its a nice sounding lil amp. For the $99 I'm gonna keep it.
UPDATE: UPS delivered my $99.99 HT-1 from Musician's Friend last night: i.e., the stripped-down, black plastic-knobbed, "Special Edition" w/o the aux input (headphone/iPod) or speaker-emulated output. It did, however, have the standard grille cosmetics with metallic piping trim.

I called Musician's Friend customer service and their phone rep pulled up the MF eBay listing (I'd purchased it as a "Buy it Now" on eBay) as well as the MF and GC webpages offering the amp (now "unavailable" on MF and $199 on GC). He confirmed there was no mention of "Special Edition", and that the features and specs listed were from the "full-featured' standard Blackstar HT-1.

He asked how I'd like the problem handled and I said, "Will you please exchange it for a standard HT-1?" He said they'd probably make me a good deal on one, but doubted they'd go for a straight-across exchange. I responded, politely, "Would you please ask anyway?" He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back on the line with, "I can hardly believe it, but they'll do it!"

Gave him my CC number and it's ordered: $99.99 + tax/free shipping for the standard HT-1 they're currently selling for $249.99 and I can either keep the first amp or return it for a full refund.

Moral of story: If you're polite, it never hurts to ask. People don't complain enough.

The customer service rep went home happy about working for a company willing to do the right thing, and I'm now a customer-for-life.

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

• Information