Valve recommendations

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
thephantum

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:36 pm

imalrightjack wrote:Live and learn, I guess! Reckon it'd be improved with another Mullard or something else? Not that I'm too fussed, just interested to know what you think.

Also, do you know why the gain channel is quieter than the clean channel? It's the same with the old or new valves. Not massive but odd.
Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. There's nothing wrong with the tubes you've gotten. The fact is they are better sounding tubes than almost anything being produced today. I don't know where you got them, but it sounds like they are a reputable seller.

Yes, if you got got a NOS Mullard 12AX7 (or a NOS RCA or something like that) to go with the NOS Mullard 12AU7, it's probably going to sound even better. But, you already said it sounds damn good now. Ultimately, that's what matters. :mrgreen:

As far as the volumes, what Classic said: The volume difference is probably more perceived than actual. If the amp is low to the floor either get it up on a chair/table or tilt it back 30 degrees or so.

imalrightjack

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I don't there are any issues there.

One question I have though is that with both volume and gain off, I get the usual kind of valve amp hum but also an unusual kind of rustling sound comes from the speaker, like a really light, gentle crackle. Any ideas?

thephantum

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Assuming it's very low level, it's either some AC ripple or just EM interference from something in the vicinity of the amp.

imalrightjack

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Ah, ok, I've got loads of stuff running off one socket and a computer in the room. Could well be it! Thanks :D

imalrightjack

Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:42 am

Well, picked up a second HT1-R for a friend as a gift (he's a plumber and helps me out for free!). Also pre-owned, so gave it a bash - no rustle or noise. Stuck in the Mullard and I get that very occasional crisp packet noise when the volume is all the way off (very intermittent). Harmonic valve?

thephantum

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:56 am

It could be an issue with that tube. If you are bumping the amp and hearing a rustle only with that NOS Mullard in there, it's a little microphonic. Not a big deal unless you can hear it when you are playing.

imalrightjack

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 am

Ok, that's fair enough.

Is it right that the ECC82 heats up to too hot to touch within a minute or so at low volumes?

imalrightjack

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Got that Mullard replaced - no crackle and it's definitely sounding better :)

thephantum

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Cool...and yea, both of tubes should be too hot to touch within a minute or two, regardless of the volume.

• Information