Tube Sockets & Tube Pins

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
thephantum

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 am

It's a humbucker. I don't think it's about height or leveling....that much has been dialed in and pickup sounds balanced across all strings and against the other pups. It's more about the amount of treble that get's through from that pup vs. what gets through from the other pups. Since I intend to have a single tone control, I'd rather not make a cap adjustment as that will impact all the pups.

Like I said, I think the only way to figure it out is to try some different things. I have all the parts I need to do it. I just need to find a day or two I can set aside to focus on it. Between the kids, wife, work and honeydo list....that much time in one stretch is hard to come by. ;)

Classicplayer

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:33 am

I'm surprised the thread is still going. As the original author of it, I want to thank you (Phantum) for the assistance.

I donated my HT1R combo to a local music academy that provides lessons and equipment to young artists just beginning their interest in guitar. I finally decided to end my frustration with the loss of highs coming from the Blackstar. It has been described as a warm sounding amp, but a bit too much so for me.

I now have gone from 2 tube amps to a 1 tube amp. I now play and practice with an Orange Micro Dark hybrid type of amp (head only)!plus 8"'speaker cab. It too has been described as a warm sounding amp, but after 9 months of ownership, I'd say it's nowhere near as warm as the HT1R. The Orange is more balanced in tone and does not loose highs at all; the sound stays balanced once the tube gets warmed up. Being a hybrid might explain that. I really like it and with a fully broken in speaker, it seems to be a keeper from rather longer term.

Classicplayer

thephantum

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:41 pm

A buddy of mine has an Orange Micro. You're right, it gets it's warmth from the preamp tube and it's a decent sounding little amp. I still prefer how my HT20 & HT5 sound over it...but at it's price point and small size, you really can't beat it.

Adam-T

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:17 pm

The Orange speaker cab is no where near as good as the HT1R "as a speaker" , I tried one with the HT1R and compared to the internal and no contest whatsoever so using the Micro-terror into one is crippling it ......... funny thing is that the Dark Terrors (Micro and normal) seem to shine when when used with the Blackstar HT-408-Metal 4X8 cab , better than an orange 1X12

I love the HT1 in both 1R combo and Metal head formats to bits but gave up on the HT5 altogether , had the metal combo and the non metal non reverb head and tried the other variants and even tried valve swaps and that painful jangly harshness (not present in the HT1) never seemed to go away .. I look towards Laney for higher wattage valve stuff.......

Try the HT1 Metal in head form, not only is the gain increased but the deep bass extended too over the regular version which is nioce for the cleans too (the 5-metal didn`t seem to have that)

• Information