handle/pcb screws

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
rumfoord

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi everyone (first post),

I just bought the HT-1 Metal combo from Musician's Friend, but it came without the rear two screws in the handle. It was a blem, and it was a good deal---so it's cool (well, cool enough). But I'm curious about which size screws to replace them with. Does anyone here happen to know?

I could, of course, remove one of the screws from the front side of the handle, and buy matching replacements. But I read (over here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=569) that it's these handle screws that simultaneously support the weight of the circuit board. Given that, it seems plausible that the front and rear handle screws may not even be the same length (eg, longer in order to reach the chassis, or shorter to not puncture the circuit board.. or something).

It would be awesome if anyone is willing to take the time to compare the front and rear handle screws in their HT-1 and report on your findings. They're probably the same thread size. But are they the same length?

Thaaanks

thephantum

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:34 pm

You should be able to just remove the back, then take the screws out of the front side of the handle and see if they fit through the rear and into the chassis. It should be pretty easy to tell if they are the same thread size, as well as if they need to be longer or shorter and by how much.

rumfoord

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:52 pm

You're right. I don't know why I thought it was going to be crowded in there. I guess I had the impression that the circuit board is along the top of the amp (if the screws are supporting the weight). But everything is easily visible once you open it up.

But (for anyone reading this later), the circuit board is mounted to the back panel. The back panel and control panel (of the combo) is one piece of metal. The rear handle screws do secure this piece, but there are 9 other screws on the back that are also holding it down. I'd been nervous that holding the handle without having those screws installed was going to stress the circuit board. But this would be a terrible design---good thing they didn't do it that way!

Also for reference: these screws are M4 x 25mm (but length is not critical).

thephantum

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Cool. Glad you got it sorted out. :mrgreen:

• Information