My short review of the HT-1

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
KKND

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:26 am

Well had the pleasure to play with an HT1 the other day, i don't own it, it was at the store.

I tried the HT1R combo, at first it looked similar to the practice cheap amp you get along with "beginner's kit", you know, the pointless toy amps, it was light and compact, however it was SOLID and looked well built. i plugged the guitar directly (LTD EC-401 ) with Seymour Duncan Jazz n JB combo. The clean channel was great, i tried various combination of volume and gain and it sounded great, i cranked the volume n gain on OD channel and i could tolerate the volume level, maybe because the room i was playing was really really huge, but the speaker couldn't take the volume and it started crackling (farting :oops: )

all over the tone was impressive, this is a great one watter for direct recording but i wouldn't plug any MP3 player and play along due to the speaker limitation.

Next, i plugged in some pedals, i started with a chorus, sounded good up front no complains, blend it with some reverb (which is super btw) and you get nice cleans and bluesy tones :D

Then, i plugged HT DIST X, and it didn't perform well, too much gain cause the speaker to rattle again, but at low gains you get nice tones, i added a delay after that (HT-Delay) and it got messy, honestly didn't spend much time with the delay on this amp, so cant judge the pedal up front but it didn't sound great especially when the DIST X was engaged :?:

Finally, i moved to the head, first of all it looks gorgous, i would buy it as a display piece no kidding, it just looks great, maybe because i collect Die cast scaled down car models and this was a scaled down amp to me :)
anyways, plugged into HTV212 and obviously the speakers were more than capable to handle the amp, no rattling no farting and the amp drove the speakers with no effort, it was loud, full and rich in tone, i wish i had an OD, it would have done miracles.

Well, that's all folks, bare in mind that i spend 30-45 minutes with the HT 1 and those are my initial impressions, i am sure some one who own the amp would have better things to say, especially at the comfort of their house and their usual surroundings.

BTW, the price is a bargain.

LonePhantom

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Sounds great. I figured the combo would have some limitations due to its small speaker size. I'd love to get the head since to have as a spare amp in the studio. I can't quite justify it right now though due to having the HT-5 as my main amp. I love the idea of the HT-1 though.

KKND

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 am

Man, we can never justify the urge to buy stuff, other wise why would i be looking for NAMM 2011 and waiting for new releases from Blackstar, i just bought stage 60 which i am still tweaking AND yet looking out for more products to add to my "Wish List" Image Its a disease Image

However, i stand by my word, HT-1R...BEST LOOKING AMP EVER Image

Relay

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:10 am

I received the combo for Xmas and have experienced the low freq wobble at high volumes, though I just turned the ISF dial around a little until it stopped.

I use a Charvel San Dimas 2H JB/59, so same pickups you used and I find that HT-1R is excellent for all the 80's metal I can throw at it, its great. For my first tube amp (coming from modeling software/SS presets) its wonderful. The ISF is a breeze to use, makes finding the right sound super easy. Haven't really tried the clean channel out, although i did notice it broke up nicely at full gain for the few moments i've used it. In a few weeks when school returns (music teacher) I'll have a chance to give it a full workout and then write a proper review.

• Information