volume through a 1x12...

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
spiralizer

Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:47 pm

Hey all,

Just got an HT-1R and I love it. I have been using an Orange 35rt (35 watt) SS amp to jam with my drummer in my basement. It's been working pretty well with the volume cranked but I've been craving tube sound so I went with the HT-R1 for that.

My question is, if I got a 1x12 cab for the HT-1, would it increase the volume enough to be heard over a drummer? If so, I'll sell the Orange to buy the cab. Any help would be great as I don't have a bunch of money to play with.

thephantum

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:19 pm

The short answer is no. dB level is determined by power output. Adding more speakers does not increase power...as a matter of fact, power will be split between the 2 speakers. So each speaker will only get about 0.5watts and total power output remains the same

Even though it's the same amount of power, two speakers do move more air than one. So while it won't be louder, you will perceive a fuller sound...if that makes sense.

Bottom line, if you can't be heard over the drummer with just the HT1, adding a speaker is not going to help that...you need more power.

My HT5RH barely keeps up with my drummer when run through a 2x12 (I normally use my HT20H when jamming with him), so I doubt the HT1 will be able to...especially if your drummer plays loud/hard.

spiralizer

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks so much! I wish I could afford the HT1 tone but with more power. Oh well, thanks again.

thephantum

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Just a suggestion....if you sold both the HT-1 and Orange Crush you should be pretty close to the cost of an HT-5. At that point the HT-20 is only $100 more. If you're patient and keep watching different sites, you might be able to save some money by catching a sale and/or a demo model.

Again just a suggestion. :mrgreen:

Personally, I would keep the HT1 for practice and save up for something like an HT-20....but that's me.

Also, something else to keep in mind...heads are usually less money than combos. Granted, the initial investment of buying a head and cab is more than just buying a combo, but if you like using different amps to get different sounds...it's the only way to go. Not only is it less money in the long run, but it gives you more options to mix and match stuff. Just some food for thought.

Skully

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi mate :) As I said in my presentation I have an HT1-RH and I play with it in in my band through a 4x12 so jamming with the HT1 is possible ;) if you can borrow a cabinet to see what it souds like you could be surprised ;)

I don't know if having a 4x12 make it sound louder don't make me say what i didn't but i know from my experience that i can jam with my HT1-RH and my 4x12 ;)

Enlive

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Ya to b heard over a drummer you'll need about 10watts or more. But here's a suggestion if you have a PA run a cable from the ht1 emulated out to the mixer and you'll be good to go. It'll sound amazing

spiralizer

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks for the replies! Just for the hell of it, I cranked it playing with my drummer and yeah, that wasn't happening.

This wouldn't have been a problem in the old days but we're old and broke now :)

• Information