bypass cab emulation

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
MadDogE134

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32 pm

is it possible to run the speaker out in the back into a DI box to bypass the cab emulation? built in cab emulation is fine... I would just like to use other cab impulses with it in my DAWs. I figure since it is only pushing 1 watt... it ain't like slamming 100 watts out of a head. cheers

thephantum

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:30 pm

It doesn't matter if it's 1 Watt or 1000 Watts...if you do not connect a proper load to the speaker out, you will blow the output transformer.

In order to do what you are describing, you'll need some type of load box/attenuator. I would recommend something like a Weber Micromass for the HT-1. http://www.tedweber.com/micromass

MadDogE134

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:19 pm

thnx for the info :)

Enlive

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Sorry but he's wrong about that. Blackstar amps get another bonus as being one of the few, if not the only amps that do not need a load connected while on. Just leave in standby. To bypass the speaker emulation just run a cable from the fx loop send into your interface. It's not possible tho to run both emulated and fx send to your own cab impulse simultaneously.

thephantum

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:41 pm

Enlive wrote:Sorry but he's wrong about that. Blackstar amps get another bonus as being one of the few, if not the only amps that do not need a load connected while on. Just leave in standby. To bypass the speaker emulation just run a cable from the fx loop send into your interface. It's not possible tho to run both emulated and fx send to your own cab impulse simultaneously.
You are talking about not connecting anything to the speaker out to run the amp in silent mode. That you can do. However, you cannot connect a cable to the speaker out without connecting a proper load to the other end. Plugging a cable into the speaker jack defeats the protection circuit and, unless the other end is connected to a proper load (like a speaker or load box), you will blow the output transformer.

In addition, the HT-1 does not have an effects loop. So the only choices are use the EO, or use a load box as a DI. ;)

MadDogE134

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:11 am

right... HT-1 does not have a loop. I am wanting to get the ext. speaker out into my interface (Focusrite 2i2, Audiobox USB or Avid Fast Track Solo) I have been using the headphone/emulated out into my Whirlwind Director passive DI and it works fine but I would like to use the direct out of the amp itself without the cab emulation. that way I can use my own software convolver and impulses.

I don't even think I need an attenuator to lower the sound... the DI has a -30db pad for input from amps. it just doesn't act as a dummy load on the speaker.

it would have been nice if they had put a switch on the panel to disable the cab sim completely. that way you could use the onboard 4x12 cab simulator or you could use just the unaffected amp sound.

hell it might sound pretty darn good cab emulation out into another cab impulse... but I would like to have the option of NOT having a cab so I can chose my own emulation on my computer. :)

thephantum

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:49 pm

Yea, it's not a matter of lowering the sound...it's the dummy load to protect the OT. You may want to look at one of Weber's load dump doxes. This one is a little cheaper than the one I posted earlier. http://www.tedweber.com/load-dump

The advantage of using a load box/attenuator is that the EO takes it's feed from just the preamp. Using the speaker out (and a load box) gets the coloring of the power amp as well. The other thing to keep in mind is that you might want to pass the speaker out signal through an EQ prior to sending it into your emulation software. Whether or not you do will really depend on the parameters you can set for your emulation.

Enlive

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:23 pm

For the price of gettin one of the boxes, I would just get a used ht-5 and do what I said lol I mean just instead of messing around with load boxes and having to mess around with setting up another peice of equipment

thephantum

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Enlive wrote:For the price of gettin one of the boxes, I would just get a used ht-5 and do what I said lol I mean just instead of messing around with load boxes and having to mess around with setting up another peice of equipment
It all depends on what you want to do. A good attenuator is a nice tool to have in your arsenal. Personally, I have the 150W Weber Mass III. It lets me partially or fully attenuate any amp I own. On stage, I can crank up an amp to get the saturation I want then just knock off a few dB to keep the level in the mix. At home, I can knock down a lot more dB so that I don't piss off the neighbors. For recording, I can mic a cab, take a straight up DI, as well as a DI from the speaker output and take the EO; all at the same time or in any combination...which gives me all kinds of options when mixing down or if I need to re-amp something.

Granted, the HT-5 has an effects loop (which I why I don't own an HT-1), but getting an HT-5 does not give you all those options, nor does it let you take a feed with power tube saturation...again, the EO and effects loop both come from just the preamp. Without some kind of load box, the only option is to mic the speaker...which isn't always conductive to using cab emulation/simulators.

Plus, even a used HT-5 goes for around $200...not including the price of having it retubed and biased (which should be done to any tube amp bought used). A low wattage attenuator is half that cost... and the attenuator has a number of other benefits as well.

Again...it all depends on what you want do/what your needs are.

MadDogE134

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:18 pm

i'll probably just go with a 50 watt attenuator. most of those have a 1-50 watt capacity so it would cover the HT-1 plus i have an antique '65 Ampeg Jet J12D (15 watt that needs a couple of 7591s... the 6BK11s... one of the rarest tubes out there i think and are STILL in great condition) and a Carvin Nomad (50 watt)... it should cover them too. i also have a Roland Cube 60 that is 60 watts but i rarely if ever run it wide open since it is all solid state so there is no need to ramp up the volume 'cos i ain't performed live since about '95 (there is no benefit being maxed out) i bought it on a whim and hardly use it anymore except as an acoustic amp (it has quite a few simulators on-board) so it really ain't in the considerations.

thnx for the info, suggestions and help... it's much appreciated. cheers

jay

• Information