HT-1R as an alternative to FlyRig5?

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
tfs4473

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:17 pm

So here's the situation: I bought a Tech21 FlyRig5 to use as a back-up during live gigs to my Club 40 or Stage 60, and to use when playing on really small stages at small venues. It's really small, reasonably priced, and offered a lot of goodies (emulated Plexi, a boost feature, reverb, delay, etc.).

The problem is that despite all it has going for it, I can 't make the FlyRig5 sound good.

In your experience, can I use the HT-1R as an emergency back-up to my regular Blackstar amps if it's miked or DI'ed into the mix board? And it looks like a perfect mini-amp for going right into my DAW for home recording. (I use pedals a lot, so switching to OD or distortion would be done via pedals and not necessarily the amp.)

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks.

Thom

thephantum

Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:21 pm

Assuming the venue you are playing has a PA system, there's no reason it won't work. The issue will be when you are playing a gig in a venue that has no PA...

tfs4473

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

thephantum:

Agreed. The same is true of the FlyRig5, which requires going into a PA (or powered speaker, another amp, etc.) to be used.

In addition to being a small backup for my regular amps (never needed to use it in that capacity, thankfully), I had been using The FlyRig5 for DI at small venues when stages are really tiny and even the Club 40 was too big. I had tried it for recording into my DAW, too, but it just didn't sound good to me, like using the Club 40's emulated out did.

Thanks for the input!

Thom

tfs4473

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Well the little HT-1R arrived yesterday, and while it sounded great (especially the OD channel), there just isn't enough headroom with the clean channel to work for what I intended. It was worth a try, however.

I'm returning it and likely swapping for a HT-5R combo.

Live and learn, as they say.

Thom

• Information