Dummy load or Speaker / Motor coil

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
amit

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:23 am

Here's my Use case : I need to take the speaker output into my daw and use different speaker emulations.

I already have it working, but need to know if this is safe method.
My chain;
Speaker Load or Speaker Cab (1x12)
guitar > Htr1 > Ext Speaker out > Behringer Ultra DI 100 (-20db padding) <
Mixer / USB > Daw > Cab Sims

Everthing works great but at times don't want the external speaker/ cab as it's too loud (for late night as well as I would like to monitor through cab sims.

For this amp should I get the L-Pad ,/ or some other attenuator or would just a resistor would suffice like a wirewound resistor say 16 Ohm 50w/100W if i were to go for a dummy load.

For the time being I have connected/tried the amp out to a 8 Ohm 50W Hifi speaker and wrapped that speaker in thick towel and then into isolation chamber (deep freezer) which also seems to work great for my use case , but again is this safe for the amp and it's OT. I don't mind this method at all if it's safe.

I don't see no reason that it should not be safe as speaker though small (2 1/2 inch) is 8 ohms and 50W rated, but just confirming.

thephantum

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:03 pm

It's not really a matter of safe. You are looking to grab a DI from the speaker outs while the amp is being driven hard. Regardless of whether you isolate the speaker or use a dummy load (resistive or speaker motor), you are driving the amp hard so you're going to wear out the power tube faster. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, just that it's a fact and the method you use to knock down dB's has no bearing on that. :mrgreen:

Based on the use case, I would use an attenuator that has a speaker motor and a line out. That's going to give you the truest representation of what the amp sounds like. It also eliminates the need to DI. You just pull the line out right into your DAW or mixing board or whatever. Bam. Done.

I'm a big fan of Weber attenuators so I would recommend the micromass for the HT-1: http://www.tedweber.com/micromass

In terms of bang for you buck, you could also go with this resistor based model as well: http://www.tedweber.com/load-dump

The only real advantage with that one is it can soak more power.

amit

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks,
95% of what I play on the combo or another real cab has the amp pushed anyways, and I also use a seymour duncan twin tube pedal in front at times so i think the tubes are gonna last me as much they can in either case.
I looked into those weber boxes, but shipping costs to me, are gonna make them very costly if they are heavy.

• Information