Significant Volume Drop in HT-1R

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
bharris22

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been playing my HT-1R every other day (mostly through headphones) for about 3 years now. When I plugged in this morning, I noticed a significant volume drop compared to before. I used to keep the Gain around 10:00 and the Volume near max (around 5:00) on the clean channel as a base for my pedals. To get a usable volume this morning, however, I had to raise the gain to about 4:00. Does this sound like one of my tubes has died? If so, which one? The overdrive channel did not seem to be as affected, but I am wondering if that is because there is some sort of additional solid state amp in that circuit to raise the additional volume and gain for overdrive.

Any help or thoughts you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

thephantum

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 pm

The 12AX7 is a dual triode tube, I'm 99.9% sure that the HT1 and HT5 use one triode for the clean channel and the other triode for OD. So your issue is most likely the preamp tube.

Since you drive your amp hard (volume cranked) and it's been three years, it's probably time to change both tubes anyway. The good news is that the HT1 does not require biasing. Just pop in new tubes and go. :mrgreen:

bharris22

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:12 am

Thanks!

• Information