HT-1r Buzz on certain frets?

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
danslash78

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:33 pm

hello guys

ive just purchased a ht-1r, and dont get me wrong its a great amp. Originally i had an 1999 epiphone lp and i noticed a hum/buzz from certain frets of the guitar from the ht1. I couldnt get rid of this annoying sound, so i took it into the store PMT southend. The guy after testing said it could be your frets on you epi, i need a fret dress. okay then, and since i was looking at a new guitar anyway i fell for a gibson studio ebony.

Couldnt wait to get this on my ht, got home and damn!! the buzz happened again on the same frets, took both guitars back to store and had it thoroughly checked, different leads etc. They guy said it could be a fault in the cabinet, so im getting a new replacement tomorrow, and im hoping it doeasnt happen again. If it does (and i have tried a ht5) i will have to upgrade to the ht5, although ill miss the simplicity of the ht1 and the reverb.

has anyone had similar probs. Dont get me wrong im not trying to bring this little monster down i love it just trying to get around, my little problem.
Just a shame its really an off putting sound.
cheers dan UK

danslash78

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Just to clarify that the NEW ht1r i tried didnt have the buzzing, after playoing for ten or so minutes.

Although i did upgrade to the head and 408 cab, and what asound more improved than cab .....!!!

post pics when i get it set up cant wait!!!!!

mordacain

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm

I had a fair amount of buzzing in my HT1 when I first plugged it in. After pulling it apart to try some different tubes and getting it put back together, the buzz was gone. I imagine it was probably a loose spring clip on one of the tubes.

RiF

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:45 pm

I noticed a high buzzing sound on my new HT-1R as well. I don't have a solution yet.
Here are the observations:
- The buzz only occurs on certain notes, like an A
- The buzz occured on BOTH HT1-R's that the store had instock
- The buzz DID NOT occur on the HT1 (non-R) they had in stock
- Although it seems to be only on the -R model, it occurs also with the reverb dialed down/off
- The sales guy heard it as well, but I bought it nonetheless, because I like that amp
- The buzz sometimes disappears when I tilt the amp to the back (!)
- The buzz sounds mechanical, like something is resonating/vibrating inside induced by the frequency of the guitar string
- It sounds a little like it's coming from the upper right quadrant if you look at the amp from the back
- I took the amp apart, looked for loose things that could resonate, found nothing but the tube clips as suspects, removed them. The buzz seemed to be less at first, but it's still there
- I've checked with different guitars and cables. All the same.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: So far I drilled it down to a vibrating backplate. If I push my finger against the backplate the buzz stops. I still have to find the reason and solution and will update my findings here-

Classicplayer

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:58 pm

I have the HT1R combo and have not had that problem so far. If it is something related to the backplate, you might try a thinnish' piece of felt cut to size and apply it to inside of that plate before fastening it down. You might make sure when inside that amp (only if you are comfortable working around inside) that the speaker nuts are tightened down securely. Other than the tube retainer clips, I cannot think of much else. I'm hoping you don't jack the volume to club levels, as too loud might just cause a problem with unwanted rattles. Those recommended settings that are on top of the amp cabinet were not much help to me and just trying one out with a Les Paul was not a good experience. I tend to keep the gain and volume below 12:00 noon and the ISF gets no higher than 11:00am.......this with my Les Paul's volumes less than half.
YMMV, especially with a Strat.

Classicplayer

RiF

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:21 pm

I solved it by removing the backplate and simply putting two layers of gaffer tape on the chassis where it meets the backplate (leaving the screw holes free), so that the backplate is padded by the tape.

Classicplayer

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Great! I didn't think of that use for tape.

Classicplayer

rmx

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:07 am

I had the same problem with mine HT1-R. It was severe. I open it and noticed that both electrical transformers were slightly loose inside their metallic "closure". Even though the metallic closure was tightened strongly to the backplate I need to insert some pads inside the electrical transformer. The problem reduced considerable but it still sucks! I regret had bought it.

• Information