HT-1 Noise Floor

Discussion - HT-1 amplifiers
chelvis65

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:36 am

Picked up the HT-1 combo last week and have really been impressed with the tones and build quality. The speaker is breaking in nicely as well. My only issue has been the background noise on the gain channel. With no guitar plugged in, there is no hiss at all. As soon as I plug in (any guitar/ any cable) the hiss starts. It's almost like it is on standby until something is plugged into the jack.

Has anyone else experienced this?

mordacain

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 pm

chelvis65 wrote:Picked up the HT-1 combo last week and have really been impressed with the tones and build quality. The speaker is breaking in nicely as well. My only issue has been the background noise on the gain channel. With no guitar plugged in, there is no hiss at all. As soon as I plug in (any guitar/ any cable) the hiss starts. It's almost like it is on standby until something is plugged into the jack.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yea, I'd figure they have a standby wired to the input jack. Most modern tube amps that lack a standby switch have this feature implemented to prolong tube life. Honestly, I've been surprised by how little noise there is in the Blackstars to begin with. There is a varying level of hiss with different guitars, from a lot with my PRS SE Baritone and its craptastic stock pickups to none with my Strat w/ Dimarzios. It really shows you how noisy (or not) your pcikups are in a particular amp.

chelvis65

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:40 am

Totally agree on the noisey pickup issue. The amp is pretty revealing. I really love the tones, and I think a tube swap will sort out the noise issue. I plugged it into my 1x12 Emi loaded cabinet, and it really opened up. Very cool!

mordacain

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:54 am

chelvis65 wrote:Totally agree on the noisey pickup issue. The amp is pretty revealing. I really love the tones, and I think a tube swap will sort out the noise issue. I plugged it into my 1x12 Emi loaded cabinet, and it really opened up. Very cool!
I've got a Mullard Reissue in the preamp and it did drop the noise a bit when the gain is cranked. The Mullard is a much cleaner, defined tube for gained out application. No loss of crunch, just more articulation and less fizz.

• Information