HT-5 settings

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
LonePhantom

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 am

Thought I'd start a thread for HT-5 settings.

I mostly stick to the dirty channel, rolling the guitars volume knob down to clean up the tone.

ISF: 3 o'clock

Treble: 1 o'clock
Mid: 2 o'clock
Bass: 11-12 o'clock

Gain: 3 o'clock
Volume: Set depending on circumstance.

Great Satan

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 am

Settings can be fairly subjective in terms of what guitars/fx you use because the sound can change significantly with each setup.
That being said; posting settings can sometimes really help out other people to get a little closer to the sound they want.

My set-ups fairly simple but my settings are kinda complex (i guess), so i'll take you through it :P
I use the head version into a 1x12 cab loaded with a 16ohm Celestion Greenback (i would try a Vintage 30, but i like the greenback already)

i keep a cheap 7-band EQ in the FX loop constantly on (boosting the lowest & highest band up 3/4 of the way, cutting the middle bands 1/4)

I use a 335 with all strings tuned 2 frets lower than standard tuning (make sure you do the intonation) with Thomastik-Infeld flatwound 10's (try them, you'll like them; best flatwounds on the planet!)
I also use the middle-pickup position with everything max except the neck volume, which is rolled back to a little less than halfway (this lends more bass to the bridge 'lead' tone).

**If you also have the standard 4 knobs, 2 humbuckers Lespaul/335/SG setup, then i strongly reccommend trying the middle pos. & then rolling back the neck volume to about 3-5,
this really adds some great bassy undertones while still retaining the lead sound, if you find your bridge p'up be a little harsh/trebly (like i was initially).**

amp settings;

i sometimes just have every tone control on 12:00, & with the Greenback that sounds a really good higher-gain'd Acdc rock tone,
but if i want to make it a bit louder, & push things with a bit more dynamic presence;

ISF ~ 1:00
Treble ~ 1:00
Middle ~ FULL
Bass ~ 12:00
Gain ~ about 2:00, pointing directly at the red power-led (i've found this to be best/sweet-spot for the gain knob in my particular setup)
Volume ~ fit to taste depending on cicumstances (though i reckon anything over 9:00 tends to sound better, a'la pushing those tubes)

No boosters/FX pedals, though i sure could use a decent reverb unit & a wah-pedal (i.e. Alesis + a Crybaby Classic)

gt_jumper

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:41 am

I'm all over the place coz i play such a variety of styles. but i usually strip a bit of bass out and have the ISF at noon.

Guitar Goober

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:04 am

My favourite overdrive settings are:

ISF: 6
Treble: 7
Mid: 7
Bass: 5
Gain: 8

Roll back guitar volume to clean it up.

Wah and tuner up front, Nova Modulator and delay in the fx loop.
Last edited by Guitar Goober on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LonePhantom

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Guitar Goober wrote:My favourite overdrive settings are:

ISF: 6
Treble: 7
Mid: 7
Bass: 5
Gain: 8

Roll back guitar volume to clean it up.

Wah and tuner up front, Nova Modulator and delay in the fx loop.
Similar to what I dial in. I quite liked it with my EMG guitars. Nice settings. :)

sleepeatplay

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Standard tuning for me. I replaced the pre-amp tube with a Tung-sol RI.
ISF : All the way clockwise
Bass: One o'clock
middle: three o'clock
treble: one o'clock
Gain: three o'clock
Simple settings really. I like to think my guitars keep their own voice that way.
HT-5 head over a Marshall 2-12 w/Eminence Private Jacks.

BlackJackC1

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

These dirty channel settings I find work very well for Alice In Chains, Radio Head, and drop tunings kind of stuff (bedroom jamming):

Volume: 10-11 o'clock
Gain: 2 o'clock
Bass: 10 o'clock
Mid: 10 o'clock
Treble: 9 o'clock
ISF: 2-3 o'clock

The only pedal I keep in my chain is a chorus and my Morley Wah. I add a Boss ME 50 for some lead tones that I can squeeze out of it.

My pickups are hot Seymour Duncan JB and a DiMarzio ToneZone so they are on the mid and treble side. That is why I keep the amp settings a little low on those two. When I am playing lead stuff, I change the EQ a bit to accomodate the tone I want with my ME 50.

LonePhantom

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:17 am

sleepeatplay wrote:Standard tuning for me. I replaced the pre-amp tube with a Tung-sol RI.
Cool! How did you change the valve? Can you provide any instructions on how you did it? I would like to change mine too.

BlackJackC1

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm

LonePhantom wrote:
sleepeatplay wrote:Standard tuning for me. I replaced the pre-amp tube with a Tung-sol RI.
Cool! How did you change the valve? Can you provide any instructions on how you did it? I would like to change mine too.
This is for the HT5 Combo. Not sure how the head is arranged.
Take the screws off the back of the amp..the larger ones. The chassis will slide out(you need to hold onto the chassis when taking out the last two screws so it doesn't fall) and you will see the preamp and the power tube right on top. Just pull the preamp tube straight out to replace. Put er back together and that's it. Takes just a few minutes.
Very simple procedure. I actually tried a EH12AX7 I had laying around and didn't like the change so I put the Sovtek back in for now. I was told the Tung Sol does a good job by sleepeatplay so I am going to order one of those to try. I also like the JJ Tesla valves. Good luck with your results.

LonePhantom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:39 am

BlackJackC1 wrote:
LonePhantom wrote:
This is for the HT5 Combo. Not sure how the head is arranged.
Take the screws off the back of the amp..the larger ones. The chassis will slide out(you need to hold onto the chassis when taking out the last two screws so it doesn't fall) and you will see the preamp and the power tube right on top. Just pull the preamp tube straight out to replace. Put er back together and that's it. Takes just a few minutes.
Very simple procedure. I actually tried a EH12AX7 I had laying around and didn't like the change so I put the Sovtek back in for now. I was told the Tung Sol does a good job by sleepeatplay so I am going to order one of those to try. I also like the JJ Tesla valves. Good luck with your results.
So it's that simple? Just pull out, no twisting or anything else? I was a bit reluctant to try it without any guidance, but it is that simple. Cool I'll have to get a new tube and try out.

Was the EHX you tried a standard one or gold pin?

• Information