HT-5 settings

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
gt_jumper

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 am

LonePhantom wrote:
BlackJackC1 wrote:
LonePhantom wrote: Cool! How did you change the valve? Can you provide any instructions on how you did it? I would like to change mine too.
This is for the HT5 Combo. Not sure how the head is arranged.
Take the screws off the back of the amp..the larger ones. The chassis will slide out(you need to hold onto the chassis when taking out the last two screws so it doesn't fall) and you will see the preamp and the power tube right on top. Just pull the preamp tube straight out to replace. Put er back together and that's it. Takes just a few minutes.
Very simple procedure. I actually tried a EH12AX7 I had laying around and didn't like the change so I put the Sovtek back in for now. I was told the Tung Sol does a good job by sleepeatplay so I am going to order one of those to try. I also like the JJ Tesla valves. Good luck with your results.
So it's that simple? Just pull out, no twisting or anything else? I was a bit reluctant to try it without any guidance, but it is that simple. Cool I'll have to get a new tube and try out.

Was the EHX you tried a standard one or gold pin?
out off all the tubes that where tried the tung sol stood out by miles for this amp. didnt do anything for the cleans but the lead channel (is why we bought the HT-5 right? :) ) was soooo much tighter and had a little more gain on tap. they love the Gt-75 speakers too!

BlackJackC1

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:02 am

Yeah, it's that simple. Just be careful to hold the chassis so it doesn't drop after you get to the last two screws. I just had some older EH standard tubes laying around. I used tung sol in a vox amp and it was smooth.

BlackJackC1

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:04 am

...and I am digging the white Schecter C1 Elite. I love my BlackJack.

gt_jumper

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:07 am

BlackJackC1 wrote:...and I am digging the white Schecter C1 Elite. I love my BlackJack.
Thanks dude, its the best guitar for me, I play real well with it.

Blackjacks are great too, I have one but got rid of the JB in the bridge and stuck a SD distortion in it!

LonePhantom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:44 am

BlackJackC1 wrote:Yeah, it's that simple. Just be careful to hold the chassis so it doesn't drop after you get to the last two screws. I just had some older EH standard tubes laying around. I used tung sol in a vox amp and it was smooth.
Cool. I'll have to see if my local music shop has one then. Thanks for that. :)

sleepeatplay

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:23 pm

LonePhantom wrote:
BlackJackC1 wrote:Yeah, it's that simple. Just be careful to hold the chassis so it doesn't drop after you get to the last two screws. I just had some older EH standard tubes laying around. I used tung sol in a vox amp and it was smooth.
Yep, the guys are right. It only goes in one way. So you cannot mess up. It will be the first tube you see, the smaller one. You can also order them online, I think I got mine from the tube depot, about 14 bucks usd. It really warmed up the amp, and got rid of the harsh bite.

BlackJackC1

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:55 pm

LonePhantom wrote:
I get mine from The Tubedepot.com. My local shops don't carry vacuum tubes for some odd reason..

For what it's worth:
I do think that the Sovtek preamp tube sounds pretty good and it is most likely voiced for this amp. I don't find that this amp has any harshness at all. In fact, it's the smoothest amp I have ever owned. From my experience, if you seem to be getting a harsh tonality you don't like, try a 7 band EQ in the loop and EQ out some of the nasty mids or drop your pickups some. Also, the key to this amp seems to be the volume knob. It acts like a second gain knob and with the right tweaking between the gain and volume settings you can get this amp to breakup and produce some very lush harmonics. I love this amp and I would buy it again and again just the way it is.

sleepeatplay

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:07 am

BlackJackC1 wrote:
LonePhantom wrote:
I get mine from The Tubedepot.com. My local shops don't carry vacuum tubes for some odd reason..

For what it's worth:
I do think that the Sovtek preamp tube sounds pretty good and it is most likely voiced for this amp. I don't find that this amp has any harshness at all. In fact, it's the smoothest amp I have ever owned. From my experience, if you seem to be getting a harsh tonality you don't like, try a 7 band EQ in the loop and EQ out some of the nasty mids or drop your pickups some. Also, the key to this amp seems to be the volume knob. It acts like a second gain knob and with the right tweaking between the gain and volume settings you can get this amp to breakup and produce some very lush harmonics. I love this amp and I would buy it again and again just the way it is.[/quote
Well, you know, being an school butt-rocker, it is sacrilege to scoop my mids or lower the pickups. :lol: :lol: Actually, I have an EQ on my pedalboard, but I only use it as a solo boost. I also have a tubescreamer in front if I want a more compressed tone. For me the tube change is a personal preference, especially with the head/cab setup.

adambmetal

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:47 am

Grabbing a HT-5 & HT112 tomorrow so Ill have to give a tube swap a try. Im a big fan of JJ tubes so ill give one of those a crack.

Mind you, the tone is badass as is :)

captain von rat

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:27 am

mine for heavy rock (e.g. velvet revolver, motorhead) -

ISF - 6
Treble - 7
Middle - 8/9
Bass - 4
Gain - 9
volume - as required

I use either a 92 Edwards Les Paul plain top (approx 5.5kgs) with Gibson 480R & 498T pickups or a 96 Orville flame top Les Paul (approx 4kgs) with 480R & 498T pickups. Mainly using the 498T pickup (treble position).

Pedal-board consists of a Boss DD-3 delay & a Dunlop JH-1 Hendrix signature wah.

This set-up works great for me.

• Information