HT-5 or HT-20

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Wild_Rose

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi everyone!

I currently have a Line 6 Spider III 30W and I'm really really interested in the Blackstar Ht-5!

What I wanna ask is this: how loud is it? with the Spider III the loudest I've played in my room is having halfway both the volume channel & master volume control. Do you know if the HT-5 is as loud?

I'd love to get the HT-20 but I have to save up some more!

VENTGtr

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:23 am

Wild_Rose wrote:Hi everyone!

I currently have a Line 6 Spider III 30W and I'm really really interested in the Blackstar Ht-5!

What I wanna ask is this: how loud is it? with the Spider III the loudest I've played in my room is having halfway both the volume channel & master volume control. Do you know if the HT-5 is as loud?

I'd love to get the HT-20 but I have to save up some more!

Hmm. Good question. I have a Spider 30W. While I'm not big on anything digital in amps, and only use tube amps (Or a TubeWorks hybrid), I did pick up a Spider ii at one point just to check out. Was better than I expected.

Is is louder than the HT5? Without setting them up and trying, I'd be hesitant to say either way. I've only used the HT5 head with a 2x12. In that case, probably close. I think the HT5 combo has a 10" speaker.

BUT, I do think I'd say that, while I thought the HT5 was lacking in some ways (Better tubes helped a WHOLE lot), you'd like the sound better.

Wild_Rose

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 am

thank you!

VENTGtr

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Wild_Rose wrote:thank you!
Much welcome. I should also that while I mentioned "lacking", some don't think so at all. SO, you very well may not either.

I also have the HT20 and even though they use different power tube-types, they're pretty consistent sound-wise. The 20 has an upper hand, I guess and, of course, more headroom.

Wild_Rose

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 pm

well the thing is that I want a decent amp that will show off the tone of my axe. But since I don't gig-I only play for fun, I can't exactly give a ton of money, plus there's no point in buying a 50W monster for bedroom playing.

I searched a lot and from what it seems the Blackstar HT-5 is the best in its range!

I'm skeptic about whether I should get the HT-5 head & a 12" speaker or the combo... but then if I get the head+cab, why not getting the HT-20 (the cost if pretty much the same). ahh decisions, decisions!

thanks again, I appreciate your replies!

VENTGtr

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:38 pm

If volume's not the issue, then you could get the 5 and replace the 10" speaker whenever you got around to it. There are some very good sounding 10" speakers that don't cost all that much.

Eminence, Warehouse, etc. make some great ones.

If the L6 didn't use a 4ohm speaker (No 4ohm out on the HT5 or 20. Not sure about other BlkStrs) you could try it out as a cab. It's speaker is probably geared more towards modeling stuff, so stiffer, so might not work...but never know.

Wild_Rose

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:49 pm

thanks, I wouldn't want to mix it up with the Line 6 though...

I guess I'll have a clearer view on what to get when I try one of those little monsters ;) just have this terrible G.A.S. attack :)

Wild_Rose

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 pm

ok, so out of the blue I've found the HT-5 combo at a local store and just got back home from there!
that thing is LOUD! I didn't turn up the master volume over 11 o'clock on the dirty channel and it was GIANT!

I liked the clean channel, I have mixed feelings about the dirty one! I liked its rock character but when I tried to play a solo I couldn't find that ripping tone I wanted... maybe I had to turn up the volume more but I got nervous by knowing that people can hear me!

KKND

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 pm

i have an ht-5 which i got as a trial piece until the stage 60 arrives (hats off to the dealer in Dubai)....i am returning it.
I play at home, and the ht-5 lacks couple of things....
1-Master volume...on both the clean and OD channels, having a master volume allow you to crank the channel up to get different tones while maintaining playable level using the master volume, for example, i got an amazing metal tone but the gain was at 3 and level at full....if i reduce the volume to a bedroom level, the tone lost its characteristics, similarly the clean channel gets bluesy if i crank the volume but unbearable at home!!!!, with the venue series.... you can crank the level up to get the desired tone and control the master volume.

2-the clean channel is somehow weak compared to the venue, the venue has tone control and built in reverb, the ht-5's channel is kinda dull.....IMHO

anyways, the first point is based in my recent experience.....HT venue is the way to go

Keep rockin'

• Information