Increased buzz on OD channel

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
ocelot44

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:43 pm

I've had my HT-5H for a few months now and all has been great on it. Until just recently that is. It used to have a whisper quiet hum/buzz on the dirty channel (As you would expect) but has since gotten a fair bit worse. I thought it may have been a grounding issue on my guitar, so i had a look there. I've tested 3 guitars through this (including a fresh out the box Gibson Les Paul Traditional. Which i'd expect to have no electrical problems at all). It hasn't always been this way, So like i said. Its become an issue. Its fairly loud when i play at 2 (The buzz that is) and when i gig with this its usually on 8,9 or 10. I cant imagine how terrible the humming would be in that situation. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this or even if theres actully anything wrong please help.
Much appreciated,
Ocelot.

a1terrier

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Ocelot
Had a similar problem with my HT5 Head. Clean channel was fine but O/D was unusable. Volume kicked in straight away, virtually unplayable at reasonable volume. Emailed Blackstar and was told to take to where I bought it. Did that and when they plugged in OD channel it sounded awful, so gone back to B/Star for repair.

ocelot44

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Hey, Thanks for the reply. Though im not sure i want to take it back to the place i bought it... They're really bad with things like this. Do you think a noise gate could fix it? Or is it a problem no matter what i do?

a1terrier

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:16 pm

I would take it back and get it checked out. Got a three year warranty with mine. Dont take any s**t from your shop. They have a duty to supply good product. When did you buy it?

ocelot44

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:19 pm

I might do. They are really bad though... and since i dont have the box they'll complain about that and stuff. Ive had it for... 3 or 4 months now i think. Bought it new and the problem i listed is my only one. I mean, the amount of buzz i get at 2, is what i used to get at 8 when i played gigs... Theres just so much. I might see if theres a solution to it or how bad it will be on 8+. I have band practice on saturday, so i can crank it there. If its too bad ill take it back

majikmojo

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 am

have you checked the tubes yet? - making sure they are seated or not dying...

ocelot44

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 am

From what i can tell, they're fitted correctly. Though im not sure how to tell if theyre dying or not... Any advice on how i do this?

MetalOctane

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 am

I know that buzz, whish I had the answer.

I've been experiencing the same buzz and have only had it a few months as well. However, mine is intermittent. I can play for few hours and it's normal then the next time I turn it on..... it could have the very annoying buzz/hum and volume is overly sensitive. I never know which personality the amp will have when I switch it on. It's been great today. Must also add that I notice a drop in sustain with a slight fizz when the amp is acting up. I've tried 3 different guitars, 6 different cables, with an RP1000 hooked in 4 cable and with the guitar straight in to the amp. No problems with the clean channel but what baffles me is the buzz is also present when using the RP's pre-amp. It's a newer house, no similar problems when plugging in to my kids' SS amps, I've moved the amp all over the house, no change. I even when as far as to turn off and unplug every electrical device and light in the house. As I said, it's not always there but when it is.... it's very annoying.

I have taken it back to the store but as luck would have it, no buzz.

There must a component somewhere just before the power section causing these issues that all sound very similar to me.

ocelot44

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 am

That sounds like my exact problem, aside from the fact mine seems to happen everytime. Ive tried moving it, different cables, different amps to check the gear im putting through it. It sounds like we have pretty much the same buzz. At least you didnt get it everytime though. Hope yours stays okay now. I might take it back after ive cranked it to test the buzz volume at aound 10 or so.

teo55

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:27 am

I recently purchased a HT-5TH. No problems with the clean channel. A lot of hum on the dirty channel. The more volume on the guitar the louder the hum. The hum makes the dirty channel unplayable (or at least not enjoyable to hear). The problem happens with volume and gain at 9 o'clock or higher and increases in volume as the volume on the guitar is increased. I have tested with different cables and different guitars in different locations. I read on this forum that replacing the pre-amp tube with an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 EH did the trick for another user. I am wondering what if anything the original poster did to address his/her problem. Thanks in advance.

• Information