Popping noise when channel switching

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
bignick99

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:27 am

I took my HT5R back to the dealer i bought it from, paid an extra £100 and left with a Hayden HGT-A20 1X12 combo.
admittedly it doesn't have the drive that the Blackstar had but to be honest it's more what i was looking for, i just didn't consider Hayden when i was looking for an amp.
3 channels, all valve, 20 watts switchable down to 3 watts, effects loop and mine is one of the british built ones, the later units are built abroad.
Pop a tube screamer in the front end and it changes from a blues and rock amp to a metal monster.
I'm not going to start slagging off Blackstar, my HT5R may have just been a faulty unit or from a faulty run, and clearly the various reviews speak for themselves that the company build great amps, also i still use my HT1 with the tube screamer for low volume practice and love it.

Check out Hayden they make some great products. See the link below.

http://www.haydenamps.com/products/hgt- ... -a20-combo

IM4Tone

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:45 am

MetalOctane wrote:I was once told by an electrical engineer that works for an amp company that amps tend to "pop" when channel switching unless a bit of delay (channel switching time, not an effect) is built in to the amp's switching circuit. The reason for the delay is because it provides time for a built in volume cut and return during the switching process. However, the delay is not acceptable to most players so this method of silent switching is not used very often.
I guess it doesn't matter to bignick99 anymore, but I believe MetalOctane's statement to be true. Ever amp, (all brands) I own has at least a minimal "pop" as described. I once owned an amp that did not do so, but had the very annoying delay described above. It was only a fraction of a second, but I'd much rather have a light "pop" :)

Vicus

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:40 am

Soldano's haven't.

Vicus

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 am

To eliminate the pop just replace the jfet.

cico815

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Hello. I am new on this forum. I have the same problem with my HT-5R. Which JFET must be replaced or how fix the problem. I think it would be a bad capacitor in switching circuit.
Please help me.

galahad_panasia

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:33 am

this is exactly what's happening in my blackstar ht5th. May I know the updates?

• Information